Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 3/19/19
“Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.”  (Art Linkletter)  A.L. was born and abandoned in Moose Jaw, Canada.  The baby was adopted by a preacher and his wife, and it turned out well for Arthur.  Eventually he got into show business, becoming famous for interviewing children Kids Say the Darndest Things.  Children’s sermons during church have produced some Ha-Ha moments, too, for me and the worshippers..   ;-)  Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  I suspect you also remember the radio program Art Linkletter had first, broadcast as "People Are Funny".  It was a humorous family show, with audience participation.  Our family would sit in front of the radio and enjoy the light-hearted nature of Linkletter and his guests on the program===JACK:   I think they we who remember Art (especially on radio) are in an ever-shrinking minority.

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:  i well recall Art L. and his afternoon TV program.===JACK:  I've got an idea...How about "Pastors say the darndest things...a series of misspeaks in the pulpit."  I've had my share...and know of friends who have done the same.===SP:  this is a true story.   a classmate of mine from seminary (David Isaacson) was preaching one morning at his church in Augusta,  Maine.  he had been sick all week and was on some strong cold medicine.  anyway,  at some point in the sermon he wanted to use the word organism and instead orgasm  came out loud and clear.  it was a sermon not easily forgotten by all who were in church that morning.===JACK:  I can't top that one---...although a friend of mine was describing how certain religious groups would wear black garments.  He muffed it and said black garters instead of black garments.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'm old enough to remember Art L. very well, and he was great at eliciting family humor! MAYA ANGELOU once said, "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude!" She also had a way with words!  Sometimes gracious acceptance of a circumstance is one's only option!===JACK:  I think that most parents and grandparents can recall humorous family incidents...and don't realize that they tell the same stories over and over again with the same "laugh."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Art Linkletter was one of the best men on tv!  It was the one program I would wait to watch!  He was so great with those children!    I bet you heard some funny sad and strange statements from little ones during Children’s Sermons!===JACK:  It was Christ the King Sunday and I got some paper Burger King crowns for each child.  I pasted "Christ the King" labels over the Burger King logo.  I patientently explained what a king was and how Jesus was the REAL  king.  At the end I said, NOW, what does this crown remind you of?"  ...and the kids shouted in unison, "BURGER KING!"

FROM BB IN CHGO:  I vaguely remember him and “Kids Say” from my childhood.  I never knew his interesting story and love this quote.===JACK:  He had a way of "leading the kids on," so that they'd say the darndest things.  He was a good M.C.
"

No comments: