Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 3/20/19
“An optimist is the personification of Spring.”  (Susan Bissonette)  If I had my way New Year’s Day would be March 20, cold turned to warmth, harshness to gentleness, dormant to life.  As Susan B. writes, Spring is a season of optimism.  The optimist is a person who concentrates on the positive, who has a warmer outlook on life, who sees opportunity.  The seed is going to produce a flower.  I believe it will; I know it will.  Have you seen your first daffodil?   ;-)  Jack

FROM SF IN FL:  Love it!===JACK:  I know that we've had this discussion before, but experiencing the harshness of winter makes me appreciate the coming of spring so much more...just as the hot weather of summer makes me long for the crispness of autumn.===SF: Doesn’t the contrast cause appreciation? We are so happy to be in the sunshine every day. ===JACK:  Do remember the old saying: "Different strokes for different folks?"===SF:  Yes I do. ‘Each to his own’, as my mom would say.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:   Yes I am a cockeyed optimist!===JACK:  I've used the word, cockeyed, without bothering to look it up.  It means what I thought it meant: Impractical in one sense; crooked, in another.===SHIRL: That is not how I interpreted it! To me it is happy happy happy!
FROM ST PAUL IN MESA: Daffodils? only in the grocery store floral section...===JACK:  I just went out and looked.  Nothing here, yet!===SP:  soon and very soon we are going to see....... a daffodil!!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Ah, yes! Spring brings hope and rejuvenation, but I would miss the changing seasons, if it was always warm and sunny!  This warmer week in IL will bring crocus and daffodils poking up through the wet earth, I'm pretty sure. Have had some robins at my bird feeder the past two weeks.  Reminds me of Natalie Sleeth's song, "In the bulb there is a flower, in the seed, an apple tree..." her Hymn of Promise!  Life is full of blessings!===JACK:  "I feel so gay, in a melancholy way, that it  might as well be spring," (I like that song!)===OAKS:  I agree! It's a good one,  and oftentimes our gaiety.

in old age can be tinged with bittersweet...
FROM THE SHARK:  The Persians celebrated the new year on the first day of spring for thousands of years, They were the 1st nation in history to advocate the freedom of religion.  So why is Trump fighting them and praising Kim Jun un of North Korea and MBS of Saudi Arabia?===JACK:  When I want to know the truth about what's going on in the MiddleEast, you're my "go to" guy.  While you're at it, why don't you tell me what you think of POTUS.===TS:  ===TS:  Any man who insults someone like John McCain is not a patriotic American and is not worthy of the highest honor in the United States which is POTUS.  I believe that good will always overcome evil and Trump bad deeds will not go unpunished.  I predict that the better part of the American people will not re-elect him for a second term.===JACK:   I didn't think that he's be elected the first time.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Happy Spring!  No flower yet but they're coming up!!!===JACK:  Do you remember..."Spring is sprung, the grass is riz, I wonder where the flowers iz?”===JUDY:  I sure do!  I walked around the gardens and grounds today.  All I can say is...  “I know where the weeds is!”

FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  Lots of robins just arrived and are singing away. They just know it's coming. 😎===JACK:  I haven't seen my first robin, but I did see a black squirrel today.

FROM THE NOVA SCOTIA FISH:  from Juliet Blackwell's novel Letters from Paris:  "...[M}any things are ugly only to those who cannot see."===JACK:  What great Winning Words.  I should use you as my researcher.===FISH:  you have sensitized me to look for such items. This fictional quote was a response to someone who referred to the (then-contemporary) artist Degas as "ugly" ===JACK I don't like it when people comment negatively on people's looks or how they dress.






No comments: