Monday, January 27, 2020


Jack’s Winning Words 1/27/20
“I never made a mistake in grammar but one in my life, and as soon as I done it, I seen it.”  (Carl Sandburg)  Carl is perhaps my favorite author.  My Aunt Ruth, who grew up with him in Galesburg, Ill, called him, a bum!  I still like him as a writer.  Here’s a question…What defines us?  Is it our work, our accomplishments…or, is it what people think and say about us?  Maybe we’re two people, like Jekyll and Hyde.  Iris DeMent sings, “I’ll jest let the mystery be.”   ;-)  Jack 

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  A bum...Why?===JACK:  Those were the days when you knew a bum when you saw one...loafer, accomplishing nothing, hanging around bars...a chosen life-style with no blame on society...a lazy, no-good bum!  My aunt knew him personally and, in her opinion, Sandburg was a bum!

FROM JT IN SJ:  Another good one.  A lesson with humor.   It does seem grammar is not as important as it used to be.  When I was working (usually the young) employees were often not grammatically correct in both written and spoken language.  And I know I make mistakes. Kind of makes you shiver when you hear it through.===JACK:  I can't remember liking grammar lessons at the time, but I'm sure (surely?) glad that I had those lessons.

FROM WALMART REV:  It may be, Jack . . . I've never been able to figure out which one it is here on earth?! 0;-)===JACK:  There was a radio program that I liked to listen to as I was growing up... I Love a Mystery.  I love the mysteries in the Bible, too..

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  BUM  seems pretty harsh, but then I didn't know him personally! Ha!  He did write some meaningful things, and I've always admired him.  I taught about him in my LIt  classes in 8th grade, and when I had students portray historical figures as a project, he was always a popular choice! Robert Frost was too. And Martin Luther King Jr.  Among others....Good grammer has always been important to me, and was instilled in my kids and pupils as a must to make a good impression in job interviews, and out in society. BUT, "Never look down on any person, unless you're admiring his/her shoes!" Believe that too!===JACK:  We tend to believe people who have firsthand information...and since it was my aunt who told me, I tend to believe that he was a bum at one time.  People can and do change.  My sister once thought that I might become a gangster...and prayed to God that it might not be so.  As I wrote, Sandburg has become one of my favorite authors.

FROM SC IN EP:  That quote made me laugh...partially because I am bad at grammar and I know it. I have come across a few people out here that attended Carl Sandburg college. I had never heard of him until moving out here but he is definitely a household name in central Illinois.===JACK:  Sandburg's home in Galesburg has been restored and is open for visitors   Don't worry about grammar.  You don't need proper use of language to  "fix" things, like you do.

No comments: