Monday, January 13, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words 1/13/20
“What do Shakespeare, the Bible and The Rise of Skywalker have in common?”  (3 Minutes a Day)  “Mercy plays a role in all three.  In The Merchant of Venice, “Mercy blesses him that gives and him that takes.”  Psalm 51 says, “Have mercy on me, O God, and blot out my iniquities.”  And, in the Star Wars movie, Rey’s decisions often involve decisions to act out of mercy.  The Sermon on the Mount promises: “If you show mercy, you’ll receive mercy.”  What is the “mercy rule” in your life?  ;-)  Jack


FROM WALMART REV:   Another one of those earlier days choruses  I would be found singing in a church service— They still readily come to mind.  “SURELY GOODNESS AND MERCY shall follow me All the days, all the days of my life . . . And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever, And I shall feast at the table spread for me; Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days, all the days of my life. All the days, all the days of my life.” 0;-)===JACK:  That's one I don't know.  You'll have to sing it for me sometime.  BTW; I imagine that the table might be vegan.

FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  The kids softball league had a mercy rule that the game ends after five innings if one team was ahead by more than  8. runs or four innings if more than 10 runs.  High school football keeps the clock running when the score reaches a certain amount.===JACK:  Mercy is an interesting word...kindness, tenderness, clemency, humaneness, softheartedness.

FROM MY LAWYER:  Do unto others as you want them to do unto you!  The Golden Rule. ===JACK:  The idea of the Golden Rule dates at least to the early Confucian times (551–479 BC).  It can be found in Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, and "the rest of the world's major religions.


FROM JFREEDSTER:  I’ve been on both sides of the mercy rule in softball games. When we were losing badly,  was grateful to have the game end early!  When we were winning by a lot, not quite as fun to stop early but it did feel appropriate.===JACK:  One of my first college essays was on euthanasia...mercy killing.  I'm still conflicted on that subject.

No comments: