Friday, May 07, 2010

Winning Words 5/7/10
“For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of the birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.” (Song of Solomon) Ernie Harwell would open every baseball season with this reading from the Bible. He died this week. “For, lo, the life of Ernie is past; his reign as a Hall of Fame sportscaster is over and gone. But through the gift of memory his voice is still heard in our land.” ;-) Jack

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: Thanks for this one Jack, just like many , I started listening to Ernie as a kid in the 1960's, many fond memories of becoming a Tiger fan at age ten. Then had an opportunity to meet him in person, first we visited him in the broadcast booth, a group of firefighters when Comerica first opened. Then I attended a conference where he was guest speaker. Will never forget him. FROM JACK: Now I wish I had gone to the ballpark yesterday to pay my respects. MORE FROM ML: I'm ok that we both didn't go, funerals serve a purpose, but I will remember this man for his legacy with the Tigers. No regrets FROM JACK: Most of the time, when I go to a funeral home, it's to greet the family and pay my respects that way. Once in a while, it's simply acknowledge a friendship.

FROM MK IN MICHIGAN: And what and honorable voice to hear, he is one of God's for sure! Have a good Day!! FROM JACK: We each have talents that are God-given.

FROM KZB IN COLORADO: It snowed last night here. ;-) So over it! FROM JACK: Is there ever a month when it doesn't snow in Boulder?

FROM MOLINER CF: You and your flowery words! FROM JACK: You probably never got to hear Ernie describe a baseball game. Too bad.

FROM GUSTIE MN: That was very nice. I just came from church where we put about 175 quilts on the backs of the pews. We have more for the contemporary service spot too. The ones in the Sanctuary will go to Global Health. We also have a couple for a Camp Wapagaset Bible Camp Quilt Auction and also a Habitat for Humanity Auction. I'm not sure where the rest all go. Some to Life Haven--our Home for Single Moms and babies. FROM JACK: Quilts have voices, too.

FROM JAN OF WATERFORD: What a beautiful adaptation of Solomon's song as a tribute to Ernie Harwell. An oft-used phrase from long ago was "He was a prince of a man." Ernie Harwell was, indeed, a prince.

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: the voice of the turtle or the turtledove? just curious... FROM JACK: Song of Solomon 2:12

FROM TS IN MICHIGAN: Truly a man, and his life, enviable by all. FROM JACK: A man for all seasons, especially the baseball season.

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN: I like Ernie's quote from the book of Solomon but what I will always remember is when he said "Now God has a new adventure for me. And I'm ready to move on." In one of his last
conversations with Mitch Albom he said "I know into whose arms I'm gonna fall." FROM JACK: He walked the talk.

No comments: