Monday, May 10, 2010

Winning Words 5/10/10
“Son, listen to what your father teaches you, and pay attention to what your mother says.” (Proverbs 1:8) Yesterday was Mother’s Day, which reminds me of a quote I’ve used before. “Virtue is learned at mother’s knee. Vice is learned at other joints.” My home pastor printed this in the bulletin one Mother’s Day. I liked it so much, I cut it out and put it in my Cigar Box. ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Now that I'm in these later years of life, I'm listening more to what my son can teach me...but still paying attention to what "mother" says FROM JACK: You are so right. In addition, son David is my PC geek. The 3 women in my life try their "hand" at teaching, too. I try to pay attention to my teachers.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Yes, the second quote, “Virtue is learned at mother’s knee. Vice is learned at other joints.” is a little rough. I think it is the use of mother in connection with the double entendre, “other joints.” FROM JACK: I'd tell my pastor, if I could bring him back from the grave.

FROM MOLINER CF: The older I got, the smarter my parents became.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Perhaps for daughters, the advice should be "Listen to what your mother teaches you and pay attention to what your father says." I "learned" more from my mother than my father, but I certainly listened when my loving father talked. FROM JACK: Did they advise you on what kinds of joints to hang around?

FROM JO IN MICHIGAN: Jack, that quote is great about vices being learned at other "joints". What a use of words! FROM JACK: I love my new joint.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Love that pastor's quote...a neat turn of phrase! :-) One of my gifts at the family dinner Saturday night, celebrating my 80th b.day was a book my children had professionally edited and published containing pictures, poems, and a letter from each family member; even my 3yr. old great g.son, and my ex-daughter-in-law! Believe me that was humbling...I wish I was half the woman they portrayed me as! Something they all mentioned was my reading stories to them as they grew up, using dramatic voices to
portray the story. We did all laugh ourselves silly over Winnie The Pooh stories, and laughed and cried over Black Beauty, and the Little House on the prairie series, etc .But what a keepsake that book is! My family on Sunday filled three pews! It was wonderful! God has certainly blessed me with attentive and loving family!!! A very Memorable Mother's Day. FROM JACK: What a treasure! But, most of all, what a treasure is a caring family.

No comments: