Monday, May 17, 2010

Winning Words 5/17/10
“Everybody thinks of changing humanity, but nobody thinks of changing himself.” (Leo Tolstoy) This was sent by a friend of mine who is dealing with some serious health issues. Isn’t it interesting that his focus is not just on himself, but on that which will benefit us all…a willingness to accept and embrace change? ;-) Jack

FROM MY FRIEND: Day 29, Friday
I started my chemo today. It is always scary to start a new venture. My sister and my wife came down this afternoon at about 1:30 and stayed to about 6:45. My son stopped as well on his way home from work. He goes by here on the way home toward Toledo. When you start a new venture it always makes it easier if you do this with good friends and family. The staff team at Karmanos is just great. They are very much on top of the situation and I feel comfortable. It is 16 laps around our floor that make one mile. Today I was able to walk my goal of 2 miles a day. In my bible reading today there was a great verse that gave me strength. "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." I Thessalonians 5: 16 This is a great verse. It is hard to be joyful and still pray for others. It is hard to give thanks to God for the blessings you receive. When you are going through tough times it is hard to believe that it is the will of God for you through Christ Jesus. Still, it is indeed! I will be looking for this will in the next days. The thirty days in the hospital will be for me a spiritual journey. My wife and I have always tried to take each of life situations and make them into the best of times. It is hard to take the secular and turn it into the sacred. It was Leo Tolstoy who said, "Everybody thinks of changing humanity and nobody thinks of changing themselves. Let us be among those who believe that the inner transformation of our lives is a goal worthy of our best effort." The prayer of transformation that I will offer each day is a prayer for you and for others. I will put you on my mind and heart. I am also thinking of the 24 families in the Wayne County Family Center. These homeless families need prayers to find a new way. Pray they have an inner transformation. (Did you know that $3500 will transform one of our rooms in the center? The rooms are presently pretty shabby and need some sprucing up.) Meanwhile I will pray for you and yours. We are a blessed people. Lord help us know this.

FROM LIZ IN ILLINOIS: My favorite Michael Jackson song goes, "I'm starting with the man in the mirror. I'm asking him to change his ways... if you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make that change." FROM JACK: Here's a poem I've always liked...written by Anon.

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day,
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father or mother or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass.
The fellow whose verdict counts most in you life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

You may be like Jack Horner and chisel a plum
And think you’re a wonderful guy.
But the man in the glass says you’re only a bum
If you can’t look him straight in the eye.

He’s the fellow to please-never mind all the rest,
For he’s with you clear to the end.
And you’ve passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: My Dad was an inventor....he embraced change. My mother was a traditionalist. She liked to stay rooted. I am a little of each. I like to stay rooted in the midst of change. Both/And has generally suited me rather than Either/Or. FROM JACK: I know that you consider me to be a middle of the roader, but I never thought that you saw yourself in that way

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: This all is so strengthening for this week. Hope at the end of the week, I can look in the mirror and think to myself "I've been true in this world" but also sort of hope no one is throwing stones at me for it. And I don't throw any stones either. I can really understand why people want to avoid conflict and be comfortable and accepted in the group.

FROM MOLINER CF: You friend sounds like somebody I wish I knew. FROM JACK: He is a remarkable person.

FROM JO IN MICHIGAN: I have discovered that it is in times of personal distress that we are given an opportunity to look around us tor dynamics outside of our normal view. That is what has been happeining to me, especially with my job and other issuess. FROM JACK: Opportunities abound. Robert Schuller once wrote about turing your "scars into stars."

FROM JT IN MINNESOTA: I work with a care giver group for persons caring for someone with dementia ie
Alzheimers'. We always close the group by holding hands and saying the Serenity Prayer. "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the Courage to change the things I can and the Wisdon to know the difference." The prayer so speaks to us. I meet awesome people in this group. Both those caring for the person with dementia and the person with dementia. Courage is an appropriate word.

FROM CA IN MICHIGAN: This one is for me ! How did you know? FROM JACK: Where HE leads me, I will follow. It's amazing how some WWs find their way into the lives of some people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This all is so strengthening for this week. Hope at the end of the week, I can look in the mirror and think to myself "I've been true in this world" but also sort of hope no one is throwing stones at me for it. And I don't throw any stones either. I can really understand why people want to avoid conflict and be comfortable and accepted in the group.
S.H. in MI