Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Winning Words 5/5/10
“Neither despise nor oppose what thou dost not understand.” (Wm Penn) Penn was an early champion of democracy and religious freedom. He was one of the first advocates for a union of the colonies. His views on framing a government became an inspiration for the U.S. Constitution. When we think of the founders of our country, we need to reserve a place for him. ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: That's sound advice from Mr. Penn, but it seems to me a lot of people think they understand something when they actually don't entirely understand it. In praise of Wm Penn, he was a visionary, introducing urban planning to the rugged land that is now Philadelphia. FROM JACK: History, religion, how government works, urban planning, genetics...the list could go on and on. There's so much for us to learn. I feel uncomfortable to the presence of those who have all of the answers.

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: Similar to the recent message! Turning on FOX now! FROM JACK: FOX? I'll have to see if our TV gets that channel.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Your WW together with Henri Nouwen's meditation are giving me a good economic lesson today. "Neither oppose nor despise what you don't understand" and "I will love you God, but first show me your generosity." seem to me both to be stewardship talk and the need to appreciate and trust God. In Bible study this week, we are studying Luke's story of Jesus feeding the 5,000. It's all coming together for more understanding for a lot of us as we study and share insights. FROM JACK: Learning, especially from one another, is so much fun.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: Do you know it took 180 years to draw up the Constitution? FROM JACK: "Vas you dere Charlie?" Do you know who said that? It probably longer to craft the Constitution, if you research every nuance.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Without some context around this quote it is a recipe for pacifists. I presume it was a call by Penn to seek wisdom and understanding—not inaction. We claim not to understand terrorists, but I think they should be opposed. After many years I have found despising anything or anyone takes too much energy and mental real estate—it is an emotion without a positive payoff available. Hate is the most awful of
emotions it destroys the container that holds it. FROM JACK: What interested me about this quote, was that it led me to a further understanding of Wm Penn and what he contributed to the building of the United States (united states). I don't see the connection with pacifism or terrorism, but that's just me. I see WP calling for people to "understand" before they make judgmental statements.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: poignant quote in lieu of the controversy surrounding national day of prayer. we, as citizens, have the freedom to choose not to pray. FROM JACK: I seem to remember it at The World Day of Prayer. I'll have to research the change. Making it a "National" would tend to make it more controversial. I will participate in our community's observance tomorrow at the Catholic Church. Religions, other than Christian, will be represented, as in the past. We go away with an added appreciation of other faith groups.

FROM JACK: Here's an e-mail that I received and is worth sharing with you. FROM GP IN MICHIGAN: This morning I woke to the news that one of my favorite people had passed away. Ernie Harwell at age 92 was taken to his new home. I had the good fortune to have met and spent time in his company several times over the last few years. It amazed me that he had such a phenomenal memory. Some years ago, he was a speaker at our little church. My Dad had driven up from Flat Rock just because he really liked Ernie. But on that day, he ended up in conversation with Ernie about some stories of baseball players that I had the privilege to play American Legion ball with, one of them being, as we called him then, "Specs" Fred Gladding who went on to pitch major league baseball and ended his career as a coach for the Tigers. Some YEARS later, Ernie remembered meeting my Dad and asked after him. I was sad to tell him that my Dad has passed away. Ironically to cancer. Ernie put his arms around me and said " Your Dad was a good man. He is in the Lords' Hand now - A much better place." I never forgot that. MORE FROM JACK: Ernie spoke at Holy Spirit Church in 1985 as a guest of Ray Lane, who was a member at that time. It was very inspiration, in fact like a well-crafted sermon. He was truly one of the disciples of Jesus.

FROM MOLINER CF: You might say that with the stroke of a Penn, a new nation was born.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: reading...including WW's FROM JACK: I read the newspapers, Newsweek, Christian Century, The Lutheran, occasional books from the lbrary and two daily devotional books. What do you read?

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Indeed, and his contributions were (are) unheralded to most! FROM JACK: I must confess that I didn't know what a BIG part he played in the formation of our country.

FROM MOLINER CF: You might say that with the stroke of a Penn, a new nation was born. FROM JACK: Did he use a ball point Penn to make the stroke? Was he responsible for the birth of Penn Station, too?

No comments: