Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Winning Words 5/26/10
“Before God we are all equally wise and equally foolish.” (Einstein) In both OT and NT, there are these words: “Who has known the mind of the Lord?” But if we were able to know the mind of the Lord, I think that we’d see that he has a sense of humor, besides true discernment. Einstein was probably making a commentary on our judgment as to what is wise and what is foolish. ;-) Jack

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: Lately I have been curious about Albert Einstein. I think that his faith was much deeper than people think. I belive that Albert Einstein was discovering God through science much like Newton, Pascal, Euler, et al. (I wonder if that is why his work is still honored today?) FROM JACK: I've always tried to teach that it is G-d who makes the judgment with regard to one's faith. I've learned much from some who have been brought up in a different tradition than mine, and I also hope that they have learned from me.

FROM PRJS ON VACATION: So, Jack Freed knows the mind of the Lord...."he has a sense of humor..." I always suspected that you and God were in touch.... FROM JACK: I always try to use qualifiers in situations like this. Please note: "IF we were able to know...." and "I THINK we'd see..." Some would call these Weasel Words, but they simply show that I admit that I don't "know" the mind of God.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Speaking for myself, I think I'll have to revise Einstein. Before God I'm short on "wise" and long on "foolish". FROM JACK: Since I'm not God, I won't comment.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: We should all be deeply grateful God judges us with His tremendous love and not based on how wise or foolish we truly are as none of us would "pass"! FROM JACK: I think Saint Paul had it right: "I am the chief of sinners."

FROM RP IN FLORIDA: That's a good one only frequently some are more equal than others!!!!!! FROM JACK: I'm trying to process "more equal." Like: "Is there such a thing as 110%?" Iknow what you mean; I'm just thinking outside of the box, if there is such a thing.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: So who cares about pink Cadillacs? FROM JACK: I once knew an Augustana pastor who always drove Cadillacs. I asked him about it, and he said that there was a dealer in his town who would always give him a good deal on a used Cadillac when his needed replacing. I don't recall that he every drove one with a pink paint job.

FROM MOLINER CF: Didn't someone before Einstein say "All men are created equal?" FROM JACK: Yes, but do know who said it and when? (without looking it up)

FROM DS IN SAN DIEGO: Jack -- this one is PERFECT for many of our Bible study discussions. I have a problem thinking any of us would be on "equal footing" with the likes of Hitler, Stalin, etc. etc., but we really
don't know God's mind. They may have all been part of his "Master Plan" an we can not possibly understand his way of thinking. FROM JACK: In a sense, that is true, but when we have regular contact with a person, we have a pretty good idea how that person thinks. It's that way with me and my wife. Your wife probably knows your way of thinking, too. When we have regular contact with God through prayer and the reading of scripture, we can "understand" his thinking. The Master's Plan is to give us each free will, not to program us as robots. His judgments are his, and his alone, to make. I choose not to do that job for him.

MODERN EINSTEIN
The GMC Terrain fold-out ad featuring a controversial Albert Einstein image in a People magazine from Nov. 30, 2009.   (KIMBERLY P. MITCHELL/DFP)

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Einstein probably thought God alone knows each person perfectly, and we DO all have our times of wisdom, and foolishness, even Einstein. I read his excellent (and in depth ) biography last year, and he certainly was an eccentric, and non-committed husband and father, it seems...as many genius's have been...not practical people ! His parents really did not raise him in a faith, Jewish or otherwise. It wasn't
important to him. FROM JACK: I think that our "upbringing" has much to do with who we are, but that is only part of the equation. We build on the foundation that we have been given.

No comments: