Monday, May 24, 2010

Winning Words 5/24/10
“If you think you can, you can. If you think you can’t, you’re right.” (Mary Kay Ash – sent by Ray and Mary Ann) I saw one of the pink Mary Kay cars next to me at the gas station recently. That driver must have made a lot of sales to get such a special car. Evidently she was one of those who acted upon the advice of Mary Kay. A positive attitude might get you a pink Cadillac. ;-) Jack

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: "Thinking doesn't make it so, thinking makes it possible." -Jon Hanson, The Little Book of Malapropisms, Witticisms, and Annoyances (currently being written). A positive attitude alone is not sufficient. A positive attitude combined with lots of efficient work that the marketplace values--wins the Cadillac and most things of value in life. A great attitude is an excellent starting point though. FROM JACK: Agreed. WWs is simply a jumping off place for additional thoughts. Yours is a good response. MORE FROM JON: Jack, remember always; it is often you that provides the jumping off place. That is why I enjoy our back and forth. I had a great time this weekend seeing my favorite liberal Paul Reece at a song writing seminar. Saturday night my daughter Paige and I went to a concert performed by Jim Photoglo (another of my favorite liberals). He was fantastic.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: After all this justice thinking last week and getting embroiled in it, "If you think others can, they can" don't think I want to think "others can't" and be right. Maybe the secret is everyone has to get together to think people can, Mary Kay as well as her sales lady for her to get her special pink car. Even if Mary Kay said "If you think you can't, you're right" in the back of her mind while she was advising her sales
lady, I think she must have been thinking "I'm trying to help you not to think that way and be more positive about your abilities." Thanks for helping us to think already today FROM JACK: I see that you have your thinking cap on today.

FROM PRJS ON VACATION: I already have a red Cadillac....without selling a single Mary Kay item....My take on this is "If you think you can, you have a reasonable chance to do it".....Positive thinking can be helpful but it alone won't help you beat Roger Federer FROM JACK: Moving from "I think I can" to "I know I can" worked for The Little Train.

FROM DMF IN MINNESOTA: Mary Kay stole that quote from Henry Ford. FROM JACK: "Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford

FROM INDY GENIE: kind of off the subject but because of today's ww's, i'm sitting here at my desk singing aretha franklin's "pink cadillac"....and enjoying myself! actually one of the lines is sort of appropriate for today's theme......"who know how far a car can get before you think about slowin' on down" FROM JACK: I think I'll look at it on u-tube. I DID, and it sounds pretty good.
ARETHA FRANKLIN SINGS:
Knew you'd be a vision in white
How'd you get those pants so tight?
Don't know what you're doin'
But you must be livin' right

We got some places to see
I brought all the maps with me
So jump right in...Ain't no sin
Take a ride in my machine

City traffic movin' way too slow
Drop the pedal and go...go...go

Goin' ridin' on the freeway of love
Wind's against our back
Goin' ridin' on the freeway of love
In my pink cadillac
Goin' ridin' on the freeway of love
Wind's against our back
Ain't we ridin' on the freeway of love
In my pink Cadillac?

Never you mind the exit signs
We got lots of time
We can't quit 'til we get
To the other side

With the radio playin' our song
We keep rollin' on
Who knows how far a car can get
Before you think about slowin' on down

City traffic movin' way too slow
Drop the pedal and go...go...go

FROM MOLINER CF: I wonder if a guy ever won one and would he drive it if he did. Had a sales contest once and the person who won got to keep his job. FROM JACK: Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I don't believe you should need incentives to do your job. I had the contest with myself!

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: Actually, Mary Kay borrowed one that from our 'homie', Henry Ford. FROM JACK: We are all borrowers at one time or another. We don't always add footnotes. MORE FROM MT: yes, of course....not to mention the fact that we sometimes borrow without having any realization that we have done so, and to take it a step further, it's entirely possible that a third party named her as the source, even though Mary Kay gave ol' Henry credit!

FROM DM IN MICHIGAN: Great piece...In automotive sales I worked with a Mary Kay Cadillac person, and she was phenomenal....Even came to Ply., MI to get a Cadillac one time at Don Massey.....little did I know then in the 1982 time frame that I would "labor in the vineyard" close-by.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: WHOOP! WHOOP! Wouldn't that be a perk and a half??! This reminds me of a poem that "Bill had our children memorize. They can say it perfectly to this day!

"If you think you're beaten, you are,
If you think you dare not, you don't,
If you'd like to win, but think you can't,
It's almost a cinch you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you've lost,
For out in the world we find
Success begins with a fellow's will,
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you're outclassed, you are.
You have to think high to rise.
You need to be sure of yourself,
Before you can win the prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But sooner or later, the man who wins,
If the one who thinks he can!

Helped them to think positive...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After all this justice thinking last week and getting embroiled in it, "If you think others can, they can" don't think I want to think "others can't" and be right. Maybe the secret is everyone has to get together to think people can, Mary Kay as well as her sales lady for her to get her special pink car. Even if Mary Kay said "If you think you can't, you're right" in the back of her mind while she was advising her sales lady, I think she must have been thinking "I'm trying to help you not to think that way and be more positive about your abilities." Thanks for helping us to think already today, Pastor Freed.
S.H. in MI