Friday, May 28, 2010

Winning Words 5/28/10
“If everything seems under control, you’re not going fast enough.” (Mario Andretti) The Indy 500 typically appeals to competitive, ambitious, aggressive, Type A people. Mario began racing at age 5, and has been going fast ever since. My son and I went to Indy in 1994 and sat behind the pits. What a thrill! Even though I like racing, I do like a measure of control in my own life. How about you? ;-) Jack

MORE FROM JACK: I saw a bumper sticker yesterday which relates to today's WWs.
GET IN - SIT DOWN - HOLD ON - SHUT UP!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Control this week. Cutting garage doors and windows in the new warehouse. Control and accuracy is more important than speed. Measure twice cut once... FROM JACK: As Ecclesiastes 3 puts it, "For everything there is a season...." Sometimes there's a need for speed, but most of the time there's a need for control. MORE FROM JON: Speed in the Gulf Clean up would be good MORE FROM JACK: ...and more control over the drilling process is necessary, too.

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN: I agree with you. I like a measure of control as well.....but as of late...there is little.
It can be unsettling. This morning we woke up at 5:30 a.m. to no water for showers...my husband took his shower at a neighbor's next door. I'm home dealing with helpful well companies. I've selected one and it looks like we'll be getting a new pump today. This situation and work (with more than 120-130 retirements for next year) are out of my control...I must let go and let God. All of this is coming from a person who loves speed and the Indy. I've been to many Indy Car races. In another job, my company sponsored Bobby Rahal's car.
I like to think of it as not being out of control...but putting the control in His Hands. FROM JACK: I recall how relieved I was when our subdivision voted (not 100%) to go from wells to city water. Ahhhhh! I will watch part of the 500 on Sunday, but I would not wish to be in the cockpit of one of the cars. Like you, I look for a measure of control.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: My lifestyle is carless, walking, five days out of the week. On the weekends we go out in the car and are with the rest of the people driving in their cars. The comparison in time and motion is amazing. It seems like everyone is going to hell in a handbag. I'm usually just sitting in the passenger's seat, praying to God for Him to pour wisdom, patience, caution, and travelling mercies into my husband. I pray for that the rest of the week, too, but especially for the 20-30 minutes actually in the car. It seems like after 30 minutes, one adjusts to the speed and can relax a bit. This whole country is premised on going fast, newer and newer technologies, constantly improving and changing institutions, mobility all over the place, more and more relationships (though sometimes I feel they might not be very deep ones), even time itself is warped and changing fast, move forward an hour, move again backward an hour, the days pass in a blur of activity and
travel, this is one WW that I appreciate because I think it is truthful about our American culture but at the same time I feel it's almost a distasteful WW. And I feel, in the eyes of the whole rest of the world, we do not look like we have such a positive measure of control. FROM JACK: I could be one of those drivers you're writing about. My son from Minnesota was visiting us and riding with me on I 275. "Whoa, dad, do you think you're driving in a NASCAR race?" So, I cut down on the speed and got away from the bumper of the car in front of me. We need remeinders once in a while.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: Control of everything is not one of my wishes; expect the unexpected is sometimes more exciting. FROM JACK: "Sometimes" is your controlling word. Serendipity is another word that I like. I've met some "control freaks" in my life, and that's not the life for me. I once counseled a newly-married young lady who was having problems. Her husband insisted that she keep a written record of all money that she spent, including money put into parking meters. The marriage didn't last.

FROM MOLINER CF: Depends on who's doing the controlling. FROM JACK: From my point of view, God is in control, but like a xcaring and trusting parents, he allows us to sit in the driver's seat while he is close by.

FROM LIZ IN ILLINOIS: I am a control freak. And an Indy car fan FROM JACK: If Danica Patrick isn't able to race on Sunday, you seem to be the kind of person who could take her place.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: What a varied life you lead. Watching the Indy 500 is the last thing on my "bucket list". I can't imagine sitting in the sun for half a day, in the roar of the crowd and the roar of the race, breathing exhaust fumes. I suppose there's a first time for everything...ever want to go back again? FROM JACK: Knowing that you are the adventurous kind, going to the Indy 500 would fit that category. The pre-race activity on the streets near the tracks might cause you to forego the race. Street after street of yahoos sitting on the top of a motor home, bus or truck, drinking lots of beer and yelling obscenities to the girls passing by - and the girls complying. Since David and I took it all in, I don't think that we feel the need to go again...but we might.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: I like Tom Peters: Ready, Fire, Aim. So many times in the corporate world it has been, Ready, Aim, Aim,.... FROM JACK: As you know, it's the same on the basketball court.

FROM ED IN ARIZONA: After working out I take ten minutes to stretch and think. With my eyes closed stretching I listen to this song (Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen) - it never fails to give me the chills. Try it! FROM JACK: You are a most interesting person! Do you wear sunscreen when you're out hiking? What number? And what about the other advice? One person that I know is going through some difficult times. He says that Yoga works for him.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: You're watching the 500, I'm sure. Who will win it? Where will Danica end up? FROM JACK: No Danica this year. One of the Penske cars will probably win. He's from around here.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: one of my favorite quotes you've put across. Such fun before a holiday weekend. We must take some risks in life! FROM JACK: Do you know the song, Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen?

FROM B & I IN FLORIDA: We feel thattype of activity is a serious waste of energy that should be directed to a more positive activity in life. FROM JACK: I'll bet you drove the tractor really fast out there on the farm.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: It was out of my control not to answer you early today. My grandson spent the night to help me distribute 8 yards of cedar mulch....the rest of the family came over later to help and have a BBQ including my niece and her husband. So, all I can say is we are taking control and taking it easy this weekend. Our family always goes to Greenfield Village on Monday to celebrate Memorial Day. The rest of the weekend will be easy....if we have any control at all!

FROM LK IN OHIO: I'd rather go much slower and not even attempt to be in control of everything. FROM JACK: The the Indy 500 is not for you. You might try a 3-wheel cycle,

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I'm going fast enough for this 80 yr. old bod! ha! Bill's brother Darren and their friends went to Indie 500 every year...I guess it was like a reunion of old friends and fans. I would think watching cars race around the track all day (or weekend) would be b-o-r-i-n=g! But they loved it Fred (our son) pastored the Big Baptist Church in Indianapolis, for 14 yrs. and a lot of the churches simply closed down services on that Sunday, due to traffic and noise!! Their church did not, but attendance was usually considerably down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My lifestyle is carless, walking, five days out of the week. On the weekends we go out in the car and are with the rest of the people driving in their cars. The comparison in time and motion is amazing. It seems like everyone is going to hell in a handbag. I'm usually just sitting in the passenger's seat, praying to God for Him to pour wisdom, patience, caution, and travelling mercies into my husband. I pray for that the rest of the week, too, but especially for the 20-30 minutes actually in the car. It seems like after 30 minutes, one adjusts to the speed and can relax a bit. This whole country is premised on going fast, newer and newer technologies, constantly improving and changing institutions, mobility all over the place, more and more relationships (though sometimes I feel they might not be very deep ones), even time itself is warped and changing fast, move forward an hour, move again backward an hour, the days pass in a blur of activity and travel, this is one WW that I appreciate because I think it is truthful about our American culture but at the same time I feel it's almost a distasteful WW. And I feel, in the eyes of the whole rest of the world, we do not look like we have such a positive measure of control.
S.H. in MI