Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 8/8/07
“Never be afraid to sit awhile and think.”
(Lorraine Hansberry) I sat awhile, Googled
Lorraine, and was introduced to a fascinating person who died at age 34. She wrote Raisin In The Sun. I’ll try to put some stuff on the blog. Even if you’re not retired, as I am, try to set aside some time, just to think. I believe it was IBM who had their workers put a sign on their desks: THINK! ;-) Jack

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: This is something I see as a major deficiency—people do not take the time to think. My pet peeve is restaurants and public places that feel they need to “force” music upon us. It is hard to find a nice quiet place to think and write. Perhaps many are afraid to be alone with their thoughts? For me background music should be barely perceptible and preferably none at all is best. Of course for me time alone to think and write is heavenly. One of my big fears in life is having a rush of great thoughts and having no pen, paper, or keyboard with me to record them.

FROM J.D. IN MINNESOTA: JACK, I LIKE TO THINK AND OFTEN SIT AND CONTEMPLATE. HOWEVER I HARDLY DISLIKE THE USAGE BY THE PREACHER WHO IN A SERMON SAYS "I THINK." FRANKLY I DO NOT GIVE A RAP WHAT THE PREACHER THINKS, RATHER WHAT DOES THE WORD PROCLAIM

FROM J.F. IN NOVA SCOTIA: I wish I had had this a long time ago. Reminds me of some incidents
that happened to me, showing that not everybody accepts this. One
time I told my boss we were crashing through the woods without
knowing exactly where we should be heading, and needed to stop
for a bit and get out our map and Boy Scout compass. He replied,
"We don't have time for that now!" Another time, one of my
subordinates criticized me for sitting there instead of working;
one of my responsibilities was corporate organization structure
and I was noodling on some difficult choices with significant
human implications

FROM C.H. ON CAPE COD: I do it a lot. Sometimes people think I'm spacing. It's wonderful to think - that's why I always thought my greatest fear was Alzheimer's. Then again, even there, perhaps it's a matter of learning to fully trust God...

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Hi Blessed are those who think. I dream of solutions for current problems at night and when I get up to start the cruel day, I forget what I drempt. I told Rom of my problem when he was still in school thinking that his classmates and he could figgue out a solution since they were the best and brightest. But he said they had already tackled that problem and could arrived at no solution. I wanted them to wire a person's head to a recording device so that as the dream materialized it could be recorded. But damn, many dreams have been wasted since then. I could use the money to fund a scholar ship at Oshkosh Extenrion for a Sweedish lady who needs financial help., or a scholar ship in Irene's name for a lady of German descent to Columbia School of Nursing. All the money would b eused.to help other people in this country. I have so many very good ideas that are going to waste.

No comments: