Monday, August 20, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 8/20/07
“Don’t try to solve serious things in the middle of the night.”
(Philip Dick) This gifted writer had a variety of problems in his brief lifetime. I can imagine that there were times when sleep would not come easily. Do you have suggestions for putting away the cares of the day in the middle of the night? ;-) Jack

MORE FROM JACK: I'm reminded of the line from a song by Hank Williams. "You'll cry and cry and try to sleep, But sleep won't come The whole night through" Do you know it?

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: The Winning Words were very meaningful to me today, as I do have a problem of sleeping through the night. I am up a lot and when I do awake, my brain starts going one hundred miles and hour. I can't seem to shut it off. Then I am up until the early hours of the morning. So, I don't have any answers, but would love some suggestions.

FROM L.P. IN MICHIGAN: prayer.

FROM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: Isn't there that part in the Bible where Jesus says "My Father is still working and I am working too" to indicate that God never takes a rest from working on us. The nighttime might be exactly the time when a person's own agenda and defenses against God's Plan or the needs of the inner soul or the truth that is in the subconscious has a window of opportunity to really be worked out for the person's ultimate benefit. Actually this is the first Winning Words you have chosen that I believe might not be Biblical in my opinion.

FROM K.B. IN MICHIGAN: I don't have an answer for middle of the night problem solving--but maybe someone does--it would sure make sleep a lot easier.

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: try singing, "when you get worried and you can't sleep, just count your blessings instead of sheep and you'll fall asleep counting your blessings". remember that one?

FROM IRVING BERLIN: From the 1954 movie "White Christmas". When I'm worried and I can't sleep I count my blessings instead of sheep And I fall asleep counting my blessings When my bankroll is getting small I think of when I had none at all And I fall asleep counting my blessings I think about a nursery and I picture curly heads And one by one I count them as they slumber in their beds If you're worried and you can't sleep Just count your blessings instead of sheep And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings I think about a nursery and I picture curly heads And one by one I count them as they slumber in their beds If you're worried and you can't sleep Just count your blessings instead of sheep And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: Watch C-Span.

FROM G.G. IN INDIANA: Yes I do. I've used Peruvian "worry dolls". I assign my worry to the doll and place it on the bedside table. Pretty funny....sometimes all the dolls are lined up...each assigned a different worry! It's good to know somebody is worrying but it doesn't have to be me! All I know is that it works! Saying a prayer and asking God to take over helps too.

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: I get up and read - almost every night. Saw the Tunberg (Whitey's) boys today - too bad you're not here: a malt or shake would tast reaaaaal good! :-)

FROM D.B. IN MICHIGAN: yes, I do; my suggestion is ........"eating ice cream out - of - the - carton !!!!"

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: "There's no cure for insomnia like a good night's sleep.

FROM MOLINER, J.T.: No, but when you find the answer--let me know. Jim Just returned from Ft. Drum, NY Saw my GGdaughter and Gson who is back from Iraq.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read recently that "sleeping on it" really works. Oftentimes your brain figures out what to do while you're asleep. That's why we sometimes have those "aha" moments upon awakening.