Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 8/1/07
“Sing! Music is an outburst of the soul.”
(Frederick Deluis) Not everybody likes to sing, but for most of us, there’s one song, or more, that just bursts out of our soul. What are your favorites? I like, When The Saints Go Marching In. In fact, I think I’ll sing it right now. Music is a great gift from God, isn’t it? ;-) Jack


WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN:
We are trav'ling in the footsteps
Of those who've gone before,
And we'll all be reunited,
On a new and sunlit shore,
Oh, when the saints go marching in
Oh, when the saints go marching in
Lord, how I want to be in that number
When the saints go marching in


MORE ON THE SAINTS: A traditional use of the song is as a funeral march. In the traditional funeral music traditions of New Orleans, Louisiana, often called the "jazz funeral", while accompanying the coffin to the cemetery, a band would play the tune as a dirge. On the way back from the interment, it would switch to the familiar upbeat "hot" or "Dixieland" style. While the tune is still heard as a slow spiritual number on rare occasions, from the mid-20th century it has been massively more common as a "hot" number.

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: One of my favorites too. Will be the last song played at my funeral.

FROM MOLINER, J.T.: You should have been at our "Bix" service this past Sunday. We left singing The Saints. The roof really shook.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I see that you were up very early when you sent this! Did you wake Mary up with your singing, especially such a rousing song? You would know that I could appreciate today's WW. In fact, I am trying to think of a favorite one to sing right now.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Oh my family just loves to sing. Kimberly and Joshua too, have the wonderful ability to memorize a song once they hear it! We do a lot of singing in the car on vacations. Gary and I harmonize to "Battle Hymn", "Amazing Grace" and all the old hymns. Plus, a lot of what I call "Mitch Miller" music and "Camp music. Some of my favorites are: "America the Beautiful" (still causes goosebumps I LOVE the words), "Christian's Island" by Gordon Lightfoot, "Your Song" by Elton John, "Singing in the Rain", "Jesus Loves me" by Points of Grace, "Spanish Eyes" and anything by Garth Brooks. I just love music! It's one of our greatest blessings....music has the ability to lift me up! And, I love "Fling out the Banner". I have asked the kids to have that played at my funeral, hopefully many many years from now!

FROM M.A.P. IN MICHIGAN: Yeah !!! You bet!!!! Ray says how about Children of the Heavenly Father?

ONE OF MY FAVORITES, TOO: Children of the heav’nly FatherSafely in His bosom gather;Nestling bird nor star in HeavenSuch a refuge e’er was given.
God His own doth tend and nourish;In His holy courts they flourish;From all evil things He spares them;In His mighty arms He bears them.
Neither life nor death shall everFrom the Lord His children sever;Unto them His grace He showeth,And their sorrows all He knoweth.
Though He giveth or He taketh,God His children ne’er forsaketh;His the loving purpose solelyTo preserve them pure and holy.
Lo, their very hairs He numbers,And no daily care encumbersThem that share His ev’ry blessingAnd His help in woes distressing.
Praise the Lord in joyful numbers:Your Protector never slumbers.At the will of your DefenderEv’ry foeman must surrender.

AND IN SWEDISH: Tryggare kan ingen vara,Än Guds lilla barnaskara,Stjärnan ej på himlafästet,Fågeln ej i kända nästet.
Herren sina trogna vårdar,Uti Sions helga gårdar,Över dem Han sig förbarmar,Bär dem uppå fadersarmar.
Ingen nöd och ingen lycka,Skall utur Hans hand dem rycka,Han vår vän för andra vänner,Sina barns bekymmer känner.
Se Han räknar håren alla,Som från deras huvud falla,Han oss föder och oss kläder,Under sorgen Han oss gläder.
Gläd dig då, du lilla skara,Jakobs Gud skall dig bevara,För Hans vilja måste alla,Fiender till jorden falla.
Vad Han tar och vad Han giver,Samme Fader Han förbliver,Och Hans mål är blott det ena,Barnets sanna väl allena.

FROM S.B. IN MICHIGAN: Personal favorite is: Alexander's Ragtime Band.

FROM J.G. IN WISCONSIN: You will get lots of response asking about favorite songs! :-) I, too, have many songs that are special to me. One is ... It is Well With My Soul or sometimes titled Peace Like a River. Music is good medicine!!

FROM GRANDMA G. IN FLORIDA: I agree with you about When the Saints Go Marching In. Les and I heard it once at the Chicago Opera House with Louis Armstrong. Benny Goodman. one of the Dorseys and it was so great everyone thought the curtain would fall down because of reaction from the audience. Another favorite is How Great Thou Art and the most memorable singing was at Mass at LaHaina in Maui. Thanks for the memories.

FROM J.T. IN MICHIGAN: Think mine is "How Great Thou Art."

FROM M.N. IN MINNESOTA: Hi Jack—I like that song too. In fact, I directed a Children’s Choir at a wedding in June and that is what they sang! It really was beautiful.
I am on my way to Balsam Lake to entertain my circle. I have everything ready because Carol and I went to see Spam-a-Lot last night and I could not be there early.
So far, I don’t know of anyone of my acquaintances on the I 35W bridge collapse. How tragic that was!

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: What a gift, what a b lessing, what a joy to have a person gifted or not to share her/his gift with others. I had to sit in Church next to a monotone person, and luckily in front of the retired choir, so the 2nd group over sang the ist person. Lift that bale, tot that ? barge, get a little drunk and you land in jail, Ole mAN RIVER, oh Ole mAN rIVER. aCHE DER LIEBER TO HEAR pAUL rOBESON SING THAT AGAIN. Frank Sinatra sang tht song once cwhile wearing a white tux, oh., man alive, he needed to wear a pair of torn bib overhauls, with manurer on the knees. Bob, actually instrumental music is as great a gift as the voice, well, maybe not, ya, well, we need to take a vote. What do you think

MORE FROM B.S.: Hi, my voice is gone, kaput, sorry, today my Mother is right. However I still belt out songs on occaison, but they Irene claims I hurt her ears. She is telling me that my voice is gone. So I must accept it. It is kaput. to bad, it still is fun to sing, a lot of fun. I remember how we used to sing hymns as Aunt Laura played the piano. We sang with a lot of joy and feeling., we sang from the heart, and that is when you sing well, that is when you do any thing well. I told my kids when they left home, that if they didn't like where they were working, I mean really enjoy it, get out and go some where else.> I said to them, you are not going to suceed if you don't really like what you are doing.

AND STILL MORE FROM B.S.: (I laughed at this one. Jack)
Hi Jack and Mary,, Irene and I went to a wedding reception in Milwaukee. Two kids from Kenosha were living together in Milwaukee and decided to tie the knot. So they rented a Pavillion up on the hill over the beach in Milwaukee and went to the Muscian's Union and hired a put together band. They didn't ask us. the band played lovely music and no one danced except Irene and me. We would go over to a couple we knew and we would coax them to dance with us hopeing to eventually get the floor full of danc ers. nope. The music was great and we had the entire floor to ourselves, so Irene and I agreed to ask the band leader if they ( the band ) played a polka. The gent at the piano, thought about that for awhile, grinned, and sayed, Yes, we know a Polka. So they played the Beer B arrell Polka, and, and, e veryone danced. They played the same music all night, and every one danced.




No comments: