Wednesday, August 22, 2007


Jack’s Winning Words 8/22/07
Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth.”
(Thoreau) Would you like to camp out with Thoreau at Walden Pond or stand with him in civil disobedience? Of course, he was an idealist. They’re not always popular. If you were writing today’s quote, what would you put at the end? ;-) Jack


FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: i'd also go with truth, it's the first step toward all else. it would be an honor to stand with him, wherever. signed, a sometimes unpopular idealist

RESPONSE FROM JACK: I can see you traipsing around Walden Pond..... AN FROM M.L.: ahhh, now you're talking utopia...

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: What is truth?

FROM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: "give me truth" is good. Pontius Pilate said famously "What is truth?" as I recall. There is some kind of hymn we sing at the Fountains Assisted Living. "Give me Jesus, give me Jesus, you can have all the rest but give me Jesus." Guess love, money, fame can always disappoint but truth you can hang your hat on.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: I would have liked to spend a day with Thoreau. Interesting question. I am going to wrestle with this one today.....I don't know what I would put at the end if I were writing the quote. The truth can sometimes be very painful, but I would rather hear the truth than a lie any day. I don't like lies. And money is not everything and fame is nothing. I know people who loathe anyone with money...and I mean real hatred. Interesting ending, but then Thoreau was strange.

REPLY FROM JACK: Have you ever seen WRESTLEMANIA on TV?
There's even something about wrestling in the Bible, isn't there?

FROM G.G. IN INDIANA: I'd love to go camping with him ....we could plan our civil disobedience around a campfire. I like truth.....none of the other stuff is any fun without it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm....truth...wrestle...I'll have to cogitate on this one...