Thursday, August 02, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 8/2/07
“I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object be what it may…light, shade and perspective will always make it beautiful.”
(John Crawford) This one should cause us to be less judgmental about the looks of people. Who says that we all have to look like those in People magazine? Can you think of some “ugly” things in nature that are really beautiful? I like the song, All Things Bright and Beautiful. The last line: The Lord, God made them all. ;-) Jack


FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: there's beauty in that. i also love that song. i sing it to my garden.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Reading this brings a big smile to me. I once had the "ugliest " toad on the planet . I mean, he was ugly. But, he brought us so much happiness because he jumped so far and "played" with us so long. We only kept him one day, that was all our parents let us keep wild animals. We lived in Harper Woods but right next to the huge county ditch. All kinds of animals lived in the area. I was 9 when they built 94 and Eastland Mall. We had pheasants, skunks, deer, rabbits, raccoons, large land and water turtles, opossum, and fox. Our favorite was that big ole' toad. However, I would have to tell you the truth when I say, I watched part of the Ugly Dog Contest, and I can tell you, some of those dogs were incredibly ugly. There are no two ways about it. I'm sure they were dearly loved by someone, but, they were undeniably ugly. Did you see any of them???? (PS...My cousin Nancy's little kids were not too pretty when they were born, but are really cute now. Just don't let her know.)

MORE FROM J.L.: To be absolutely truthful, my beautiful (daughter) was quite well, strange looking when she was born. She was 6 lbs and 21 inches long. When I took her to her first doctor appointment, the doctor held her up and said, "She looks like a Bangladash baby." And, she really was skinny. Of course, you know how beautiful she is now. And I know a lot of people who are very beautiful, they just are very beautiful inside....their outside doesn't matter!!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: There is a whole family of adjectives and words that contrast and compare; these are often useful in debating relative beauty. Additionally, we are not duty bound to speak out loud everything we think. I have regretted my unkind comments more than once. I disagree with Crawford, I have seen ugly and lived to tell about it. I suppose if Crawford takes his theory to the limit, enough shade (darkness) can fix ugly. I assume this makes me a judgmental sinner—and that is ugly.

HAVE YOU EVER EATEN THE FRUIT THAT HAS THE NAME, UGLI?

FROM E.T. IN MICHIGAN: I am now singing the song that you asked about the day we left for T.C. The song is "Everything is beautiful in it's own way". Thanks for reminding me!

Ugly. Is irrelevant. It is an immeasurable insult to a woman, and then supposedly the worst crime you can commit as a woman. But ugly, as beautiful, is an illusion.
Margaret Cho

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An old gnarled, twisted, and weather-beaten tree, perhaps standing by itself under the big skies, standing by itself on the horizon has always seemed to me the most magestic and beautiful of sights. Maybe because one can see that it has endured all the elements of nature and weather and maybe also man's doings that have come to it.