Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Winning Words 5/18/10
“Happy is he who learns to bear what he cannot change.” (Schiller) This is an interesting follow up to yesterday’s quote. There are things that we can (and need to) change. We need to get busy doing that. But then certain things happen that are beyond our ability to change them. What we can do is learn a positive way to bear them. Do you have some suggestions…even some that have worked for you? ;-) Jack

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Maybe "At peace" is the man who learns to bear what he cannot change.
I have a friend of 35 years that has progressively become a pretty serious alcoholic. I cannot change him, I love and accept him, and to the extent he is functioning I try to treat him like everyone else. I can never be happy about it, but I have decided to be at peace with it at least in my daily thoughts. Those that have tried to intervene are no longer friends. Maybe that's where I should be. I am just vain enough to think he needs my nonjudgmental friendship more than my unvarnished opinion... FROM JACK: Alcoholism is a complex problem. There are various ways of dealing with it. Today's quote is appropriate for those who care about the alcoholic, but are frustrated, because there seems to be no solution. "Intervention" worked in a couple of cases that I know about. I've known some alcoholics who've found help through AA. A "few" have done it "cold turkey." But peace does not always come easy.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Keep reading and re-reading the Psalms. Someone else already experienced the loneliness and pains and challenges and emotions and feelings and set-backs we are going through. We're in good company and never alone. FROM JACK: Some good suggestions.

FROM GP IN MICHIGAN: So! Today's winning words are designed to make me wonder? FROM JACK: Your response reminds me of what the disciples did at the ascension of Jesus. They stood, looking up in wonderment. Two angels appeared and said, "Why do you stand looking up (wondering)?" The disciples then went, gathered to pray, and went out to tell the good news. I have to remind myself to do something about that which "amazes" me.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: Prayer FROM JACK: If we were sitting down in a face to face discussion, I might ask: "What do you mean by that?" ...and then both of us would be enlightened. But, yours is a good suggestion!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep reading and re-reading the Psalms. Someone else already experienced the loneliness and pains and challenges and emotions and feelings and set-backs we are going through. We're in good company and never alone.
S.H. in MI