Monday, August 06, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 8/6/07
“I believe more in the scissors than I do in the pencil.”
(Truman Capote) I can’t remember. Is this an analogy, a metaphor, or simile? I’ll choose analogy. Whichever, it’s a good quote that can relate to writing or to interpersonal relationships. Capote had a way with words. By chance, have you read his book, Answered Prayers? ;-) Jack


FOLLOW UP FROM JACK: After reading definitions of all three, I'd say it's a metaphor.

FROM MOLINER, L.P.: Good Morning! As someone else said (can't remember who), and I paraphrase-- "sorry this letter is so long. I didn't have time to write a short one." Hemingway, maybe...

FROM MOLINER, D.S.: Jack, I might rephrase that to say, I prefer the eraser to the pencil.

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: I think this means forgive and forget. Don't mix up messes. Cut out the cancer.

THIS IS REALLY WORTH READING. C.H. on Cape Cod introduced me to it. Jack A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote
Truman Capote's short story A Christmas Memory: full text in html.www.geocities.com/cyber_explorer99/capotechristmas.html

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Uncle John used to say, "Hotter than a Witches Tit", I only know lovely ladys., Or "hotter than a blister", Roger DeKock used to have a hugh blister in the palm of his hand with a cloth tied over it and for 2 pins we could take a peak at it. He later died from electrocution. He was repairing a leaky sink when he rolled over onto an extention cord that was missing some insulation. Bob Irene thinks Mr Capote meant it was better to used fewer words to express something, or, ? whatever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the past I've cut off my hair more than I wanted to and I know I always buy at least a quarter yard more of fabric just in case I cut out something wrongly there. But I suppose what I write can seem dumber than is clearly evident from the mistakes I make when using the scissors. Other people might believe more in my scissors than they do in my pencil.