Thursday, August 30, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 8/30/07
“Even my worst days have been better than my father’s best days.”
(Alberto Gonzalez) Try to see this as a human statement, and not a political one. AG’s father was a construction laborer who never was able to finish school, but was successful at raising 8 children. As we look back on sacrifices that our parents made for us, let us give a prayer of thanks. I see myself in that category. How about you? ;-) Jack


FROM G.G. IN INDIANA: Yes, I'm with you. They gave us everything they had... including an open-mind and heart to see the good in everything and everybody. Thanks for the reminder.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Thanks for today's WW and its implied message of human understanding. Despite my other partisanship, I feel for the Attorney General and the circumstances with which he's confronted. His statement seems to show the love he had for his father, the sacrifices made, and the appreciation he has for the improvements that came in his own life.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: My dad was raised in Grayling, Michigan. His dad died of pneumonia when he was 14, so my dad was the main bread winner for the family....his mom and three sisters. My great granddad built a two-story building in Grayling and they filled it with poor people and the elderly. My grandmother lived in an apartment in the building with her kids and was the caretaker/cook. My dad's two younger sisters were born on the "Poor Farm" as it was called. I was talking with my Aunt Pat just yesterday and she was telling me all of the fun they had at the Poor Farm, sliding down the fire escape, helping in the gardens, swimming in the Au Sable, hunting, fishing. We have many more "things" than my dad did back then, but he was still wealthy!
FOLLOW UP FROM J.L.: Actually, the Poor Farm is still there. When I was 18 a tornado came and took off the top floor, left the bottom floor completely intact. The VFW has dinners there all the time. If I can find a picture of the old poor farm, I will let you know. The whole story is very interesting. I really feel I should write a book about all of my memories and the ones I have been told. I love the family stories and memories!!! My grandma and uncle had the widows at the Poor Farm cook and bake cookies which they sold for money. Also, all the men had to pitch in and help...chopping wood, taking care of the farm animals (they even had two horses to plow according to my aunt), gardening and worked on the home. I have a cousin who lives in Harrisville, Michigan. She lives on S. Poor Farm Road.I guess there were a lot of poor farms. It's very humbling!

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: C'est vrai. Thanks.

RESPONSE FROM JACK: My daughter translated for me. This is true.

FROM M.W. IN ILLINOIS: My parents never finished school either. They had 12 children, 4 died in infancy, but they raised 8 and made sure we all finished school. Of the 8, I have sisters, 87 & 72 who remain, I, who they always made sure to tell everyone that I was the baby will be 70 next March. My father was 76 when he passed away and my mother was 98. Talk about longevity.

FROM F.M. IN WISCONSIN: So true - so very true. My father lost his father when still a youth - he worked hard - tried to advance - but encountered the great depression. He and my mother lost seven houses, which was their dream for income in retirement - but kept on working. He had some good days, but none like I have been blessed with. Most of us who lived through the depression, not as adults, but as children, can only begin to understand how difficult it was for them to give their children the basic needs of life, but they did give us love - and attention - and morals - and the faith of the fathers!

MORE FROM F.M.: I had a lot of opportunities to converse with my mother - she lived until she was almost 104 - she was 38 years old when I was born, so I had conversations with her when I was in my middle sixties. I have on my desk a photo of the house where she was born, it is still standing - and just six miles from where I am sitting right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Words cannoy express how greatfull I am. It is what the greatest generation did. They did not complain they just did it. Karl