Tuesday, May 24, 2022

 

Jack’s Winning Words  5/24/22
“If I have a stupid day, everything looks wrong to me.”  (Anna Freud)  As a teen I came across a list of “sugar-coated” swear words, like: Gosh Darn, Gee-Zoo and Son of a Monkey, and I tried not to use them.  Lately I’ve caught myself frequently saying, STUPID, when I’m frustrated.  It’s origin is from the Latin, stupor, meaning: without thinking, or brain not working.  We are all frustrated, at times.  How do you deal with it i8n your world?  Some people handle it by doing a simple act of kindness.  To me, that’s better than saying Son of a Monkey or S.s.s.s.tupid!   What is it that helps you turn a bad day into a good one?  ;-)  Jack


FROM GDJ:  I turn a bad day into a good day by reading Winning Words. ===JACK:  You brightened my day with your response.  I had good memories of our times spent together. 


FROM ETR:  I was always told NOT to use the word "stupid". Stupid is one of the worst and most degrading words one can attribute to themselves or someone else. I feel it should be shunned in the same way "retarded" was/is. No one is as bad as stupid is.===JACK:  I used to feel that way, too...especially when referring to someone else.  But if' better that swearing when life becomes frustrating.  I think that soe of us are guilty of doing stupid things...acting with out using common sense.  There's a Frank Sinatra song, Stup;id.  Have you heard it before?  


FROM WILLMAR REV:  Trying my best to avoid stupidity daily and instead enjoy a stupendous day, every day! 0;-)===JACK:  As you age you begin to look a little stoop-ed.


FROM BB IN CHGO:  “Stupid” was the “S-word” when our children were little.  We treated it like a swear.  They did not know the conventional “S-word” until much later.===JACK:  I think that we had a similar experience.  I now use it as an expression of frustration.  STUPID! (I should have known better)).  What constitutes a swear word?  The word itself.?  The context?  Who's to say?


FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  I watch George Carlin and his routin of the 7 words you can’t say on television.===JACK:  George Carlin is funny.  Edgy, at times, but funny and clever and timely.


FROM LS IN WB:  Yes. Simple acts of kindness provide me joy and all the frustration, negative energy, magically is gone.  I do not feel the frustration nor often remember it but to acknowledge its existence with a whole body smile. ===JACK:  I can't imagine someone spending time in Lansing or having endured some experiences such as you have, without being moved to say, OH< #$*&@%

 

 


No comments: