Monday, July 06, 2020

JJack’s Winning Words 7/6/20
“You should never be so high and mighty that you can’t listen to somebody else and learn something from them.”  (Sent by Robin Klehr)  Robin has an interesting career…She’s a sign interpreter for the deaf.  Here are some other ways to use your hands to help people:  Sew a face mask for someone.  Play patty-cake with grandma.  Pet a pet.  Learn to say Hello and Thank You in sign language.  Wave good-bye to haters.  Fold your hands and thank God for giving you hands.  ;-)  Jack


FROM WILLMAR REV:  ...have used the "hi" sign for years when meeting anyone being deaf. I like seeing their smile, but certainly lost from there on. 0;-)===JACK:  I hope that you noticed the link that shows you how to do some basic signs.  I wonder if there's swearing in signing?  ...just so you can avoid making a mistake and signing the wrong word.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  All very good advice!  Thank you!===JACK:  When you were working at Eastern, did you ever face a suation when signing was necessary?===SHIRL:  What kind of signing and for what purpose?===JACK:  Sign language to communicate with deaf customers.
FROM pEE WEE:  Love this.  ===JACK:  Maybe you can use the link to teach your granddaughter some basic signs.

FROM ST STEPHEN:  I'm grateful for my hands, and give thanks.  Thanks for using your hands to remind me. (Even if you use speech-to-text)===JACK:  Matt, the farmer's hands are gnarled to the poin that he uses voice to text.  I'm so old-fashioned that I don't even text.  BTW, when you were teaching in prison, were any of the prisoners deaf, so that they needed sign language?===SS:  I had students with disabilities, but none that I recall being deaf.  We have a carpenter apprentice, who I believe graduates this year, who is deaf and has done quite well. Safety is a concern, but the emphasis of safety training is prevention, so not being able to hear 'Look out!' to avoid injury, doesn't present a danger. Of course, accidents, by their nature, are a surprise, but accidents are also preventable. ===JACK:  Are you still at the prison, or are you back in the work-a-day world?===SS:  No longer at the prison. Back in the work-a-day world, writing curriculum and providing tech support for the carpenters apprenticeship in Washington. We just launched online content for 2100 apprentices a week ago in response to the pandemic.===JACK:  We need more "learners" in the trades, or we will soon find ourselves with lots of college-educated people who don't know which end of the hammer to use when pounding a nail.===SS:  True. There is dignity in work. Thinking is important, of course. But things still have to be assembled..parts and pieces organized, connected, finished... there's work to do! :) ===JACK:  It's said that Jesus was raised as a carpenter's son.  I'll bet he'd have a blast in  Home Depot or Lowe's.===SS:  He probably would like the variety of choices. I'll bet he wouldn't use the self-checkout, and give up the opportunity to say hello to a checker. The checkers wearing head scarves might make him feel right at home.===JACK:  He's able to see thru "our masks," so knowing who the checker might be would be no problem.

FROM RK'S MOM:  Well I sure like your winning words today, ha!!===JACK:  Do you have any knowledge of basic signing?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  It's good that they have signers during the news broadcasts now, (at least in My area of IL).I've had to talk VERY loudly to some of my elderly SS members, but none were actually deaf/ Fortunately I have my "teacher's voice" perfected after so many years! :-)  Yes, how thankful we are to have working hands!  Such a blessing!! My mom's hands were so misshapen
by arthritis in her final four years that she could hardly unction. I, so  far, have escaped that plague of old age!===JACK:  The handicapped look forward to "heaven" when imperfections will be made new again.  No more pain!  No more sorrow!  Quoting MLK Jr in another context.  "Free at last.  Frfee at last.  Thank God amighty, we are free at last."

No comments: