Thursday, July 09, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words 7/9/20
“One day you will ask me which is more important?  my life or yours?  I will say mine, and you will walk away not knowing that you are my life.”  (Khalil Gibran)  I like this quote, because it causes me to think.  Gibran was Lebanese and grew up in America, becoming a poet, painter and philosopher.  Philosophers are supposed to make you think..so are painters and poets, I guess.  Do those who are important to you know who they are? ;-)  Jack 


FROM BB IN CHGO:   I love Gibran but don’t believe I’ve read this quote before.  My folks had the Prophet on our bookshelves and I read it frequently.  Thank you for sharing and for making me think in a different way. ===JACK:  I considered many of Gibran's sayings before choosing this one.  Without giving me a name, "who is your life?"===BB:  Perhaps I misunderstood.  Thought of the children and how we say we’d “take a bullet” for each other and then (with the recent SCT decisions on  access to contraception or abortion, and various quandries on weighing a pregnant woman’s interest versus her unborn….the mother can always (likely) have another child but if you sacrifice the mother’s life for the child, the reproductive line is lost. Would love to hear your perspective.===JACK:  Gibran's answer was an enigma.  I meant mine to be one, too.  For what it's worth, I'm pro-choice.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  So you think, why wouldn't he say "Yours"?! Because...etc.  Is he saying we are inept at clarifying what is important in our relationships? I always told Bill that the best part of my life was sharing His. (He didn't always believe that, but it was true!)  He would more humbly say that people probably say, "He must have SOMETHING, he got HER for a wife." Oh my, so not true! ===JACK:  Relationships are complicated!! :-)===JACK:  Some people just seem to go together...George & Gracie; Chase & Sanborn; Amos & Andy; Mar & Jan; Sonny & Cher; Mutt & Jeff; Dairy & Queen; Preacher Bill & his "one-of-a-kind wife"...perfect for each other.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Pretty sure they know who they are and they know how important they are to me.  I would gladly die for any of them===JACK:  Jesus said something similar.

FROM CA IN MN:  ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤===JACK:  Evidently you liked it.

FROM WILLMAR REV:  I’m still in thought after reading your post several times...”what’s mine is yours?!” 0;-)===JACK:  Couples have sometimes asked me to read Gibran quotes about love.  Has it happened for you?  Do they know what love is all about?


No comments: