Thursday, July 16, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words 7/16/20
“Although we can’t stop the world around us from changing, some things are precious enough to preserve.”  (Linda Kast, Editor ReminisceReminisce is a magazine with articles and pictures that help people recall the past, often filled with pleasant memories. Yet sometimes symbols of the past bring painful memories. Deciding what is precious enough to preserve isn’t always easy. I enjoy the Hobo Nickel I have. What things from the past are you hanging on to?  ;-)  Jack


FROM ER IN SKO:  This coin is interesting to me. What year is it, and can you take a picture of it to text to me?  How did you come across it?===JACK:  The coin is back in Michigan.  I think the date is 1936.  During the Great Depression, hobos would carve pictures on nickels and sell them.  Mine was given to me by a coin dealer friend.  They are now quite rare, even at coin shows.

FROM WILLMAR REV:  “a cross” 0:-) ===JACK:  "...and I love that old cross..."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Memories===JACK:  Memory...What a great gift associated with life.  Memory...What a great loss when illness takes it away.  Heaven.  Anticipation that the lost shall be restored, the wrong shall be made right.

FROM ST PAUL:  i have a collection of 3,400 different pop cans.  does that count for anything?:):) ===JACK:  Either it means that you are a pastor full of pop...or a pastor full of fizzzz.

FROM HONEST JOHN:   The Secretariat my Grandfather built...in 19th century.    He was a journeyman cabinetmaker in Germany and built this desk for himself.....he owned a Sash and Door Works in EM ....I never met him....died at age 44....TB.     I got it from my Aunt’s porch...redid it it and added to it.   I love it.===JACK:  What a treasure!  You can only imagine what went into the making of it.    Then, too...the faith that is yours, passed on by your parents (and others).  One can only imagine what went into the making of it.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I never had heard of a "Hobo Nickel"! How interesting!! I have a great many pictures of the past, including my grandfather's families, and books on our family genealogy, done by relatives that detail ancestors. My oldest son's wife is very interested in keeping those in the family. I label all the photos, as my g.children would not remember many of these people.My wedding gifts are now 70 yrs. old!! Unbelievable! I have a great-aunt's quilt, embroidered with her name, and date of making it, and many of my mom's things which are now "antiques'!  Precious is the right word for these!===JACK: "Precious mem'ries, how they linger..."

FROM GUSTIE:  I have 3 forks with wooden handles that my grandmother brought from Norway.  They are precious to me.  ===JACK:  If no one in your family wants them, I call, "DIBS!" ===G:  I think there may be a fight.  They all know they are NOT to put them in the dishwasher.  I do use them at the lake.  A lot.  ===JACK:  I have a book in my hand that you might want to use as a family: "WHO GETS GRANDMA'S YELLOW PIE PLATE?"====G:  I have that book too.  One of the writers of the book is a good friend of mine.  Shirley Barber.  She did a presentation at our Prime Timers.  There was a short movie that went with it and the couple in the movie were very good friends.  When I got a new car I made sure that Jean could get in and out of it easy.  I picked her up for just about everything and she sang in Larks till she died. I still keep in touch with her son and his family.  I have not done anything with the book except page through it.  Guess I had better start working on it.  I had supper at my friend Marlys Nelson’s tonight—Spaghetti Pie.  Yummmm.  She and I do so much together and I have not seen her for all these months.  Only on email.  Her husband Duane is a retired Lutheran Minister.  Wartburg.  It was the first time I have been to someone’s home.  It was WONDERFUL! ===JACK:  Sometimes responses, such as yours, surprise and amaze me.

FROM LBP:  I have one of my granny’s cast iron skillets and one grandma’s scarves and broaches ===JACK:  Imagine your daughter showing that pan to her children and talkinh about great great grandma.  I only saw one of my grandmas and neither of my grandfathers.


No comments: