Thursday, December 12, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 12/12/19
“Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others.  If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use.”  (Emily Post)  It was back in the late 1960s…Sensitivity Training Workshops were popular among companies…to train employees to become more aware of the feelings of others.  Even the Church got involved, and I was invited to a workshop.  A few hours after returning home, my wife said, “You’re different!”  Evidently the workshop had worked.  ;-)  Jack 


FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Love this.===JACK:  You're different from the "run of the mill."

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  some of those S T Workshops were held in hot tubs in California and i think some of the "training" ended up being a bit  too "sensitive".... if you get my drift:):):). ===JACK:  No hot tubs in Chicago.  Once, my wife and I were invited to share a hot tub with some members and discuss the Bible.  "Other plans" kept us out of hot water.

FROM THE SHARK:  I think you were born with good manners my friend. ===JACK:  As a pastor, I've had to explain to people what it means when the Bible says that "we are conceived and born in sin,"  What do you think it means?

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I remember the first time I had dinner at Clem’s folks house.  I was so nervous.  Bernice had 2 forks and I had no idea which one to use first.  I waited to see what everyone else did.  For dessert she served ice cream rolled in coconut.  I don’t like coconut.  Clem knew that and was just really enjoying watching me try to discreetly scrape it off.  Ha!===JACK:  I  can relate, because I know the people involved, and because I had a similar experience...when I ate fresh shrimp (for the first time), thinking that that they were sweet-tasting miniature marshmallows.

FROM DB IN WB:  My mom needs that.===JACK:  Ouch!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Interesting...what were you like before the program?  I bet you’ve always been kind and mannerful!===JACK:  My sister once prayed that I wouldn't grow up to be a gangster.
 ===JACK:

No comments: