Monday, December 16, 2019


Jack’s Winning Words 12/16/19
“At the end of the day, I’d rather be excluded for who I include, than be included for who I exclude.”  (Welsh Church Sign)  Jesus was criticized for “hanging out” with the wrong kinds of people, those referred to as “sinners.”  A Lutheran church in Denver has an unusual name:, Church for all Sinners and Saints.  Would you feel comfortable being a part of that congregation?  I know of some people who didn’t join a church, because its name was, All Saints.  ;-)  Jack


FROM GUSTIE:  What is in a name??  That is dumb!===JACK:  Which name?  All Saints? ===G:  I don’t think the name of the church should be why someone would or would not join.  It is the people and how they interact with others.  How they “live their faith”!!!  That is what I meant by dumb!!!===JACK:  I like a name that gives Glory to God...like Gloria Dei.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  This is a good sign and one of the problems I have always had with most religions as well as myself.  They/religions and we/I often exclude rather than include.  I am trying to work on this.  My wife, who I include here, does a much better job of this than do I.===JACK:  I will be preaching a "conversation sermon" on Jan 19.  I'll be in the middle aisle and answer questions that people in the congregation ask me.  What question would  you ask?  What question would your wife ask?  Tell her that I'll try to include it.

FROM COPPER COUNTRY BOB:  Right on!    Blessed Advent!===JACK:  If were to choose a name for a church, what would it be?

FROM INDY GENIE:  Such good words to live by. .
Is that church in Denver the one that Nadia Bolz-Weber founded? I saw her speak in Indy ...I really like her! And ..she dances and asks the people to dance with her!!===JACK:  For me?  Dancing?  No!  But, during a fund-raising sermon I said that my wife and I would draw out 1000 and give it to the campaign  and challenged others to do the same.  Over 50 did, and the campaign was a success,===GENIE:   Whoa ....cool! Makes me want to get up and dance! ===JACK:  ...and take out your checkbook?

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  It is a sad commentary on our times that there are those who exclude anyone who includes members of the LBGQTI community in their circle of friends. Some churches and entire denominations have put out the welcome mat to members of that community by declaring themselves Welcoming churches – the Southeastern Michigan Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is one such welcoming synod. Other churches or entire denominations continue to exclude, rather than include.===JACK:  I have a hard time imaging Jesus saying, "Come unto me all ye...except..."

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  beats “all sinners.”===JACK:  Maybe it's truer than, "All Saints."

FROM SHARIN; SHARON:  Interesting WW this morning, Pastor Freed.  I have started reading a book  Church As Fullness In All Things:  Recasting Lutheran Ecclesiology in an Ecumenical Context, edited by Jonathan Mumme et al.  The cover page "Luther does not stand for the alternatives of "truth not unity," "conscience not institution," "individual not community."  His declaration of loyalty to the Church as the communion of the saints in the Grosser Katechismus of 1529 should have ruled out such false alternatives.  For the Church is "unified in love, beyond factions and divisions."  As long as the Protestant tendency to play off the invisible Church of the faithful against the visible institutional Church has not been overcome, this declaration will make no impression."  Heiko Oberman
"I believe that there is upon earth a holy little flock and community of pure saints, under one head, Christ.  It is called together by the Holy Ghost in one faith, mind, and understanding.  It possesses a variety of gifts, and yet is united in love without sect or schism."  Martin Luther
"Actually, I believe Martin Luther still has something to say to us today."  Sharon Hall
Enjoyed reflecting upon inclusion and exclusion this morning, Pastor Freed, stirred on by your WW.  Thanks for leading us all to ponder.
Best wishes to you and your family for a very Merry Christmas.
===JACK:  A community of "pure saints."  I have a hard time with that.  I've been taught that :all that sinned and fallen short.:  Even St Paul said, "I am chief of sinners."


FROM RS IN TEXAS:  As Jesus said- all are welcome.===JACK:  Can you imagine anyone not being welcome in your congregation>

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We do what we do and who we do it with on a daily bases because of choices.  Choices and the way we’ve been raised.  Who we consider the “wrong” people are choices too....a child abusers, an adulterer, a murderer, a Communist... they’ve all sat and ate at our table with us.  Shocked?!?  Well the shocking fact is they sat with me!!!  Chief of Sinners!!===JACK:  Why would you include a Communist...unless you meant to write, an atheist.  I have a hard time hearing Jesus turn away anyone...tho some might refuse to come to him.

FROM WALMART REV"  Ours may not carry the name, but the congregation sure fits the description!! Wouldn't be surprised to be depicted and included in both groups myself at one time or another?===JACK:  What is your favorite church name?


No comments: