Monday, August 05, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 8/5/19
“You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need.”  (Vernon Howard)  I saw a list of 57 Things People Want.  Besides more money and a nice car, I was surprised to see “one best friend” on the list.  Again, looking at the list, I have all that I really need…which means that I probably have more than I need.  Still, I might not turn down that TV prize: $5000 a week for life.  What would you do with a prize like that?   ;-)  Jack 


FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Interesting you ask that, as our pastor’s sermon yesterday was on having (and wanting) more than we need. I would hope that I would give a lot of it to those in true need. ===JACK:  There are so many true needs!===RS:  Yes - have been trying to support Lutheran World Relief.   They seem to address some of the worst of the worst ===JACK:  They use the money well, better than most charities.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Yes I have all I really need! I would probably give it to someone who really needs it!.===JACK:  The temptation would be to just keep some of it.....or is that just me talking?

FROM PASTY PAT:  I’d replace my 10 year old Honda Civic with a new Honda Civic and give the rest away. What fun to pick a different person, organization, or whatever to be the recipient each week!===JACK:  I can imagine that Bill and Melinda Gates Must "enjoy" using some of their wealth to eliminate polio throughout the world.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  to keep your sanity,  i think you would do well to give most of it away each and every day.  can you imagine how much good you could do each day?===JACK:  I can imagine that Beelzebul would have something to say about giving most of it away each day.  ===PAUL:  say more about this.   meaning that he would disapprove of my generosity?===JACK:  I'm saying that when the check actually comes, the Devil's temptation to keep most of it would be extremely strong.  ===PAUL:  you are right.   so right.   the temptation to selfishness is so powerful in all of our lives.   i always think of the Israelites who were told to take just enough manna for one day.  but they took as much as they could,  no longer trusting God,  and it all got rotten and wormy as i recall.===JACK:  We've heard it many times...the Parable of the Pharisee and the publican...I believe that we get the message, but we don't always live the message. 

FROM SUNSHINE:  "Wise men and women in every major culture throughout history have found that the secret to happiness is not in getting more but in wanting less" Elaine St. James===JACK:  Minimalists seem to think alike.

FROM JB IN OLV:  When B was diagnosed and told maybe it was time to look at his "bucket" list, we had a long conversation about what he thought he needed to do.  He said that he had everything he needed...that all he wanted to do is spend time with his family and friends and just enjoy each day......and of course enjoying each day means trying to help where he can.===JACK:  I'm not surprised.  I don't have "a bucket list" either.  All in all, life is good.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  This so ties in with yesterday's S.S. lesson I taught! I'll share it next week, My class is mostly at an age where wishes for improved health and stamina are often wished for~! Of course for most of us, having a little more money would make us more comfortable when it comes to having to replace cars, fix dental needs, and other large expenses that crop up!  No one wants to outlive their money or their mind!!  The wish for "one good friend" reminds me of the poignant quote:A melancholy lesson of advancing years is the realization that you can't make old friends."===JACK:  Maybe they don't offer $5000 a week for life, but many politicians pander for votes, offering "something for nothing" in their spiels. 

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Fix up run down houses and give them to people who need homes. ===JACK:  That's a good idea.

No comments: