Thursday, May 30, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 5/30/19
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt.”  (René Descartes)  A physicist that I knew would sit in his car while his daughter was in the church’s Sunday School.  I also knew the pastor of that church.  He came out and talked to the man.  


 FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Why do we confuse faith with religion?  I wonder if religion gets into the way of having faith?===JACK:  Faith and religion are two different things (like comparing apples and oranges).  "Religion" is a group or person trying to explain their concept of faith.  By nature, that explanation is imperfect, because, as a professor explained to me, "you can't unscrew the inscrutable!" 

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  had a discussion on my fb page yesterday as to whether a merciful god only allows christians into heaven... i say that is a man-made restriction. i am sharing your blog today. thanks!===JACK:  Jesus repeated common sense..."Leave them; they are blind guides. If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit."  I was very fortunate to have had good teachers.  I'm glad that in college my major was philosophy rather than religion.  It allowed me to see religion/faith in a wider view. ..Referring back to your comment, Heaven and who's there (and not there) are religious concepts and subject to debate with no definitive answer.===LIZ:  i agree... a lot can be lost in translation, as they say

FROM JB IN OLV::  My husband is in a Wednesday morning men's Bible study.  A church member who is a relatively new Christian is teaching it presently.  Evidently, there were several questions about who wrote the creation study....which the teacher responded with...it is in the Bible and that is how it happened!  Who cares who and when it was written!  I don't know how I can teach you anything if you don't already believe it!  I asked Bill if he was giving the guy a hard time...he said actually it wasn't just he that was asking questions.===JACK:  O my! 

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  What an interesting story! Like C.S.Lewis, when he [pondered and overcame his doubts, he did a 360 turnabout!! Definitely one's faith gets a bump up, as doubts are  resolved, or set aside, in your faith journey!  We will always need faith to follow Christ; we will not
:"know, as we are known" until we pass over to the "Other Realm"!===JACK:  I'm generally suspicious of those "Bible people" who have all the answers. 

 FROM INDY GENIE:  Good quote...great story.  So...the pastor, who you knew, who went out to the car and talked to the man in the car....was that anyone I know?  Just curious!===JACK:  The pastor who did the inviting was Dr O.V. Anderson, a friend of mine.  The scientist was a friend of mine, too.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Wonderful words and a very moving story!  Just think, those few words led a man to God!  ===JACK:  Perhaps...to a better understanding of God.

  .  



No comments: