Monday, May 20, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 5/20/19
“The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining.”  (JFK)  A shingle roof should last for 20 years.  I’m overdue, but since I don’t see any ceiling wet spots, I’m going to wait awhile.  Often that’s how it works with my To-Do-List.  A plaque on my wall reads: If it weren’t for the last minute a lot of things wouldn’t get done.  That plaque is a leftover from my college days.  A friend recently gave me the name of a good roofer.  I wonder if he does winter work?   ;-)  Jack 


FROM GOOD DEBY JON:  Mine is 19 years old. This week they are replacing the vent flashing and a few ridge shingles. We are starting a new home in the next 60 days. The architect specified 50 yr Timberline shingles. The guarantee is only good if installed by GAF certified roofers, probably 2 times the cost? 50 years will out pace my probable remaining economic life. Of course then I won't have to deal with a roof as a centenarian.===JACK:  Pay the extra and be done with it...one less worry.Are you taking ANCORA IMPARO with you?  I hope so.  "Vocatus atque non vocatus Deus adent" is a worthy substitute

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  Jeanne must’ve looked at that plaque a few too many times :-)===JACK:  We're sometimes compared.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  my roof had shingles sooo  curly that it looked like Shirley Temple's hair!     still not a leak anywhere.  i got a full 20 years out of it.  i had roofers knocking on my door almost begging me to sign a contract.  it all worked out just fine.  and all done by Hispanic workers who are the best!!  we tipped them all generously...===JACK:  Do you remember when Shirley Temple was a U.S. diplomat to Ghana and Czechoslovakia?  Your roof was probably put on at that time.===PAUL:  i had forgotten that.  wonder how she did as a diplomat?  likely rather charming i would imagine...===JACK:  As I recall, she did pretty well.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I DID have a wet spot on my TV room ceiling, alerting me to necessary roof and chimney repair last Fall! One of our church members did a great job, very reasonably.
Finding good workers to do small repair jobs is often a problem for widows like me. (So spoiled by having a handy husband for 51 years!) But certainly  true that an ounce of prevention is worth
a pound of cure! Good quote!  Most of us are "last minute Lucys, or Lewies" at some point in our lives!!===JACK:  Once we lived next to the church.  I remember finishing a sermon as the church bell was ringing signaling the beginning of worship.

FROM LJ:  Good morning Jack, I am responding to your Winning Words and roof concerns. Last year I had some concerns regarding my aging roof and was recommended to a roofer, Paul Merkle of  Merkle roofing and home improvements. I called Paul and told him I had no visual issues but would like an expert, him, to walk my roof and give me a professional opinion. I know that was risky because it was in his best interest, financially, to tell me I should replace my roof. Paul came over on a miserable, rainy day, spent about 10 minutes on my roof and told me it had looked like it had good life left, don't touch it unless I notice a change or sign of a possible leak. I wanted to pay him and he said only to think of him when that time comes for replacement.. I would recommend that you call Paul or someone trust worthy like him and ask for a professional opinion for planning purposes. ===JACK:  Thanks for the advice.  Your recommendation of Siggy was outstanding.  No more basement water problems.

FROM PG :  You always make me  smile!===JACK:  Sometimes I make myself smile.  I do this writing, because I enjoy the interaction with friends.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  As one who had two roofs damaged from wind I would say don’t wait until you need it done.  However, many roofs last longer than 20 years!  So it’s up to you!  Happy Monday===JACK:  Question....When you reshingled the house, would you reshingle the outhouse, too?

FROM OPTILOU:  I had a new roof installed on my house 2 years ago.  American Standard Roofing, 248-350-2323.  They installed a new roof on my son's house, his in-laws house and a friend of mine who is in the building trades!  I highly recommend them and give them 2 thumbs up!===JACK:  It's always good to get recommendations from a friend.  That's how churches and synagogues grow, too.








No comments: