Thursday, May 02, 2019

ack’s Winning Words 5/2/19
“There are three classes of people: those who see, those who see when they are shown, and those who do not see.”  (Leonardo da Vinci)  da Vinci, the true Renaissance Man, died 500 yrs ago, today.  Has there ever been one like him?  Artist (Mona Lisa), scientist, inventor, musician, astronomer and an animal lover…a true genius…and yet, on his deathbed, he lamented: “I could have done better.”  Isn’t that the lament of us all?  “God be merciful to me, a sinner!”   ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN: Some of those who do not see are those who CHOOSE not to see. ===JACK:  ...or who choose to look the other way, or hide their eyes.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  How true! Did u see the davinci exhibit? I saw it at the rock island Arsenal as a child and then here in Tampa a few years ago! Wonderful!===JACK:  Nope!  Didn't see it, but he and othe geniuses of the past continue to amaze me.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  i really like your historical notes,  Jack.   thanks!===JACK:  "What's past is prologue," wrote Shakespeare.  Joe Biden used that quote when Sarah Palin accused him of focussing too much on the past.  If anything, we don't focus (learn from) enough on the past.

FROM JT IN SJ:  Awesome Great ww and a great great man!!===JACK:  I had to look up the meaning of "Renaissance Man."  Leonardo REALLY was one.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'd love to see that DaVinci exhibit Tampa Shirl wrote about!  Reading his bio is transfixing! He really was awesome!!  Not many are well-known after 500 years! I'm sure we all assess our lives, and regret not making better use of our time, at least in some areas...but as one wise soul has said, "comparison is the thief of Joy".  Be thankful for the positives of each day! ===JACK:  I like that quote, "Comparison is the thief of joy."  Many young people could stand to read this and take it to heart...in fact, all of us could benefit from the thought.  BTW, the quote is attributed to Teddy Roosevelt.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I’d like to think I did the best I could===JACK:  My mother-in-law would say to her children, "Do the best you can!"

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO:  That's good and so very true.===JACK:  There's none so blind as  those who choose not to see.







No comments: