Tuesday, February 22, 2022

 *Jack’s Winning Words 2/22/22

“Ancora imparo! (I’m always learning)” (Spoken by Michelangelo at age 87).  I’m older than 87,  and I learned a new word recently…agrestic.  I guess agrestic is mentioned in a TV show about a rural area where “weed” is grown, but the word really has its origin from among farmers in India.  Now, I’m trying to learn how to use it in some kind of conversation.  Do you have any ideas?  How about this?   “I’ve heard that children who grow up in an agrestic style of living are in high demand as workers, because they are so dependable.”   ;-)  Jack

FROM SMILIN' TERI:   Loved this…Now I have an Italian quote.   "How we handle what’s ahead of us will be determined by what we learned from everything that’s behind us.” (Craig Lounsbrough)===JACK:  You Italians have a way with words.  I'm saving this quote for a future Winning Words.

FROM WILLMAR REV:  I've learned now, and have for the past 30 years, am pastoring in an agrestic area of west-central Minnesota. 0;-)===JACK:  "Old McCullough had (a farm) an agrestic congregation."  That could be the start of a great new hymn.  You can fill in the rest of the words.

FROM COPPER COUNTRY BOB:  My life has a acre or two of  agrestic.===JACK:  "You can take the boy out of the agrestic, but you can't take the agrestic out of the boy."  Who can forget those days at Unity...when an early pre-surgery hospital visit to a member caused him to think that he was dying...or the time (after you left) when a pile of manure mysteriously appeared on the pastor's kitchen table.  Green Acres, revisited. 

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  green acres is the place to be!  an agrestic lifestyle is the life for me!  ===JACK:  How did you know that Green Acres was one of my all-time favorite TV shows.  In fact, I've been watching reruns this past week....and still laughing at Oliver, Lisa, Eb, Mr Haney, Ralph and Arnold.

FROM BC:  Bravo italiano===JACK:  He did some of his best work while lying down on the job.

 

No comments: