Monday, February 21, 2022

 

*Jack’s Winning Words 2/21/22
“I never much cared for Presidents Day.  I believe that Washington and Lincoln deserve their own birthday celebrations.  But who am I?”  (Mr. Bob)  English majors discuss where to place the apostrophe in Presidents Day, or to have none at all.  Personally, Mr. Bob and I are on the same page, but since that bridge has been crossed, I’m in favor of no apostrophe..  This week I saw a ranking by “historians” of effective presidents.  Washington came in first and Andrew Johnson brought up the rear.  What do you think?  What’s an effective President in your mind? ;-)  Jack 


FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I appreciated reading your WW.  Actually, it would be ok if Washington and Lincoln had their own birthday celebrations but for all the other Presidents I am joyfully celebrating President Obama and also President Kennedy and President Biden.  I can’t imagine how Biden feels when he knows people right inside his Church want him not to be able to receive communion due to his Presidential stand on abortion but fortunately his own Priest and the Pope affirm Biden is a faithful Catholic.  In my opinion, many Presidents have had to make great personal sacrifices when they take that job and it’s respectful to acknowledge that sometime during the year, other folks probably don’t have much appreciation for the ones I listed but have other Presidential heroes they respect and want to acknowledge—freedom in a democracy such as ours is pretty essential.===JACK:  The old saying is true..."You can't  make a true judgment until you've walked in the other person's shoes. 


FROM DR J IN OH:  I know who I think is at the REAR of the list… any guesses???===JACK:  The historians list him closer to the end than to the top.  Eisenhower was put in the "upper" category...and, in retrospect, I guess that is accurate.  I voted for Stevenson, instead.


FROM HONEST JOHN:  Most of the time Lincoln and Washington top the lists made by historians….Andrew Johnson, James Buchanan and Warren Harding tend to bring up the rear.   The crux of the matter is “what criteria are being used?”===JACK:  "Effective" is the key word, and "who are the historians?" is also key.  I was surprised to see taht Lincoln was not closer to the top...but he had a lot on his plate.  There was once an "anonymous visitor" who attended random church services and rated the congregation and also rater the pastor and his sermon.  I w2onder if a stop was ever made at your church.  Probably A+ nall around.


FROM WILLMAR REV:  I'm reminded of the question that was reportedly asked a prominent wife of the Jewish family owning and operating a steel business here in our small west-central Minnesota community years ago. She was asked if she felt a particular family were good Christians and her reply was, "Are there bad Christians?" Seems like a question one could ponder about the present President and any of the former Presidents of the good ol' USA?! Compare them to each other, some better and some worse, but to become one should be of our highest quality and hopefully be respected as such . . . unfortunately, we have become arm-chaired, including myself, referees at the sport of criticism, with the media helping us with our scorecards. 0;-)===JACK:  In your "team ministries", how have you been rated?  It's also a "game" to the compare ministers who precede or follow our pastorates. 


FROM COPPER COUNTRY BOB:  Yep!    You do also.  So happy birth- day===JACK:  You and I are former presidents, remembering back to Augustana days when the pastor was President of the Congregation.  ELC and ALC had trouble accepting 


FROM GUSTIE:  I agree—I think both Washington and Lincoln should have their own birthdays!  But who am I!  I would have to throw Jefferson into the list of best Presidents I think. ===JACK:  Jefferson  had his shortcomings; so did Lincoln and Washington.  And, so  does Marlys; and so does JACK!!!!  But, I think that each of us can be effective in our own arenas.  I'm sure that you were  a good daughter, friend, wife, mom, grandma, church member. etc, etc. 


FROME JOE AN:   Historian Doris Kearns Goodwin believes there are five characteristics of an effective presidency; humility, empathy, resiliency, self awareness, and self reflection. She believes a president may not change their personality, but can grow if they learn from their mistakes and have the humility to admit them and learning to listen to others. Harry Truman believes that a president must never forget that they are not the power; they are the instrument of that power. ===JACK:  "Effectiveness", not only as it applies to a president, but also as it applies to each of us.  I belong to a group called, the Optimist Club.  At the close of each meetind "the Optimist Creed" is spoken.  "To learn from the mistakes of the past" is one of the statements in it.


FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  A leader who United and inspires.===Church members want that of their pastors, too, and companies want that of their CEOs.  Inspirational leaders are out there.  What president has inspired you?===ME:   Eisenhower, Kennedy, Reagan and Obama.===JACK:  That's a pretty good quartet.  Kennedy's inauguration speech (Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country) wa certainly inspiring.  I think that the Peace Corps came out of it.  

  


No comments: