Thursday, February 03, 2022

 

Jack’s Winning Words 2/3/22
“In Japan, the first person to raise their voice leaves the argument.”  (Fun Facts)   I saw a book: How To Win Any Argument.  There was the picture of a sledgehammer on the cover.  It’s been my experience that other ways work better: Use facts, stay calm, ask questions, listen, be ready to concede some points.  I’ve found it helpful to restate things I’ve said.  “Perhaps I wasn’t clear what I said (then repeat).  The Japanese model of using lowered voices seems to be worth trying when arguing family problems, politics and religion.  Let me know if it works.  ;-)  Jack

FROM ESF:  I know this is an old one, but how long to you try, and wait, for things to get better. When do you give up and move on.can it be that the impossible is status quo?===JACK:  Robert Schuller once said that when you come up against a wall, you try to climb over, tunnel under...You keep trying to find a way.  Sometimes I pull back and rethink my position, but (in my mind) I keep looking for a way.  In personal relationships...some things just don't work out...and I can live with that.


FROM CR:  I found the more powerless one feels inside, the louder they get in a disagreement. It becomes more about their internal insecurities than much about the initial issue. And then it blows up into all kinds of a mess of no resolve.===JACK:  I have friends who remain friend because we have agreed to dsagree without being disagreeable.  One thing to remember:  NOONE IS ALWAYS RIGHT! 


FROM BB IN CHGO:  You raise such interesting points and always present great ideas.  Next time there’s an issue I hope I will remember this one.===JACK:  I suppose it's happened, but I can't recall raising my voice.  I'm just not confrontational...nor were any of my family members.


FROM SALON SUZY:  Working on it! We both yell to make our point at time….===JACK:  At least you're working on it.  Good for you!


FROM KI FI:  All good ideas; living with a litigator makes "winning" an argument a challenge - hahahaha!===JACK:  Don't worry about the litigator.  Tears work wonders in winning any argument. ===K:  😢😢😢. I’ll give the crying routine a try!!===JACK:  Don't let the tears smear the mascara.

 

No comments: