Friday, February 18, 2022

 *Jack’s Winning Words 2/18/22

“Do the best you can until you know better.  Then, when you know better, do better.”  (Maya Angelou)  “Jack, you can do better than this,” were the words  of my chemistry teacher as he handed back my test paper.  He was right about that test and about my attitude toward life, too.  Maya Angelou has been  a “conscience” to many politicians and celebrities, helping them to see the better way and challenging them to do it.  There’s  an old song, Swinging On a Star, that says,  “You can be better than you are.”  Do you have a “conscience” in your life that helps you do better?     ;-)  Jack

FROM SHALOM jAN:  MANY years ago, when I was about 9 or 10 years old, we had a retired pastor, Dr. Wolfe, who came from Baltimore to Arlington each Sunday for over a year to "fill in" until we could get a permanent pastor in the aftermath of WW2.  He would stand on the chancel steps and speak to the children once in a while, and often he concluded with, "Do your best.  Angels can do no better."  That wisdom spoke to me in my conscience whenever I was criticized for not getting a sterling grade on a test (especially math) or some other effort that I wasn't the best at doing.  I knew I always did my best and that kept me from being "struck down" by negative comments by my mom or the teacher.  I knew that angels cannot do any better than their best; me, too.===JACK:  I hope you carried that thought with you during your ministry..  Thanks for the good words.

FROM GREAT SMILE:  GREAT quote! ===JACK:  Maya has a way with words...they certainly seem to come from the heart.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  or would you rather be... a pig?===JACK:  Did you ever watch Green Acres?  Arnold was a pretty smart pig.  He even went to school.  Google: Arnol;d, the pig

No comments: