Wednesday, February 16, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words 2/16/22

“But all endings are also beginnings.  We just don’t know it at the time.”  (Mitch Albom)  This quote is from Mitch’s book that tells of Eddie’s death – the end, but goes on to describe his journey into heaven.  The end of life is the beginning of something new and exciting.  It worked that way when I graduated from seminary.  It was the beginning of a whole new life with experiences beyond my dreams.  There are various “ends” – leaving the teens, losing a job, broken relationship.  Has there been a recent end in your life.  Try to see it as a beginning.”  ;-)  Jack

FROM DM:  Good morning, Pastor Jack.  My father passed away four years ago today so your Winning Words are a nice reminder that death is not an ending.  I don’t believe in coincidences, so I especially appreciate this message today.  I will share it with my family.  God bless you!===JACK:  There's hymn, God Moves In Mysterious Ways."  Our exchange of messages today seems to be a sign of that.  Who are we to question the hand of God in our daily lives?  What's one memory of your father that has stuck with you?

FROM SALON SUZY:  Step dad dying in September. New and better relationship with my mother…===JACK:  It's good to know that you are more than a hair stylist.  You are a human being like the rest of us, with ups and downs, endings and beginnings.  God bless you as you travel new roads..

FROM JOE AN:  COVID ended so many things for so many people. It also began to help me realize what was really important in my life. Did it do the same for you Jack?===JACK:  When Covid came to our house, it was a surprise.  Up until then we just saw statistics on the news.  Thanks to immediate treatments made available through the CDC, we were able to keep the worst at bay.  Life is fragile.  We need to be reminded of that from time to time.  We are NOT masters of our fate nor captains of our soul. 

FROM SHALOM JAN:     Thank you, Jack.  There have been several endings in my life the past two and a half months.  I look forward to the beginnings God has in mind for me to discover. ===JACK:  Sometimes we preachers need to practice what we preach.  I know that I do.  Speaking from experience....When I come to endings, God miraculously appears.  

FROM DANDI SANDI:  . I read your blasts every day and always think about your words as they apply to me in my life and my actions===JACK:  WWs is like shooting an arrow into the air.  "Where it falls, I know not where."  I''m glad that some of my missives are read by you.===DS:  I read and consume every word!! Thank you!❤===JACK:  Now, I have to research that poem.  I know it, but I want to know more.


FROM ST  PAUL IN ZONA:  good one Jack!   worth quoting at a funeral service too ===JACK:  The quote is from Albom's best-seller...% People You Meet in Heaven.  Speaking of books, what comments have you gotten from those who've read...Behind the Pulpit?  

FROM THE ER:  I 100% agree about the positive thinking boosting your day, attitude and productivity.  I also feel it boosts your kindness factor.  I think, in order for this to actually work, and have long term effects, someone needs to hold the individual subvertively accountable.  Now the question is, how do you keep reminding people to be positive….perhaps the under the radar Winning Word? ===JACK:  In my "working-life" I did more than preach one sermon.  There was one sermon that I preached more often than any other...COME BEFORE WINTER...ro do what needs to be done before it's too late, to write that letter, to make amends.  The text: St. Paul was sitting in jail and wrote to his friend...to bring his books, his warm coat (and come before winter) when boats could not said at that time.  It's not told whether Paul got those items or not.  Feedback told me of times when people went home from that sermon and "did what needed to be done."===ER:  That’s very interesting.  I like that analogy a lot.  Sometime it would be great if you would give me the Crib Notes version of that sermon.  Not because I have things left undone so much as I would be interested in hearing it. ===JACK:  I have a file cabinet drawer full of sermon notes of every sermon I've preached.  I also have drawers full of used/unused illustrations.  Who will care?

 

No comments: