Thursday, March 04, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 3/4/21

“A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can’t learn in no other way.”  (Mark Twain)  Most of us know enough not to pick up a cat by the tail, but do you know what a hygge is, or what sapiosexual means?  These are just two of the 535 new words added this year to Webster’s Dictionary.  We need words to express our thoughts and feelings.  “Webster’s” job is to keep us aware of new words and to explain them so we can learn. I like the sound of hygge.  Now, what does it mean?  ;-)  Jack


FROM QUILTING CAROL:  It is good to take time to learn new things…and words.===JACK:  Yes, and is good to alsays learn something.  I'm learning something about quilting while watching Joan work on a quilt.


FROM JU IN NC:  The result of my contact with electric fences will almost eliminate any possibility of a heart attack.  I should be charged up for life.  But let me share a life story about electric fences.  One morning while milking cows I looked out towards the hog pen.  8 inches above the ground we had an electric fence.  A chicken was walking with her head to the ground pecking about for her breakfast.  She walked under the fence and brushed up against it with her back.  I heard a LOUD SQUAWK, then silence.  I had to tend to the cows and went back into the barn.  Later that afternoon while doing the evening milking, I looked out to the pig pen and noticed the chicken still under the fence.  Walking over to her, I prepared to pick her up see if it would be possible for a chicken Sunday dinner.  As I got closer I heard a low moaning squawk A space of 2 inches separated the fence from the chicken.  She had lied there all day fearful of moving and getting recharged.  I stepped behind her and placed my boot firmly upon her bottom. The chicken let out another loud squawk, flew through the air 20 some feet, landed, put her beak to the ground and spent her life doing what chickens do.  After my PTSD, I stayed under the fence of fear, afraid of any more trauma.  Thanks for caring people who were willing to give me a boot back into reality. ===JACK  Two great stories.  Thanks for sharing something that connects with the quote.


FROM LBP:  Hygge is an adjective, not a noun, right? That sense of coziness and nesting. I’d have to look up the formal definition but have heard it discussed as folks try to bring a little hygge into their homes :)===JACK:  I, too, have to look up the word.  I've never used it, but I like the sound of it, and I will try to bring it into conversation sometime.


FROM RS IN TEXAS:  I looked up both.   Seems we all could use as much hygge as we can get.  As far as sapiosexual, wonder what that says about Einstein?===JACK:  Einstein was just a person like you.  What does it say about you?===RS:  Well, based on my (lack of?) intelligence, perhaps someone who is a sapiosexual might not be attracted to me.....but that's OK,===JACK:  Sometimes you wonder she sees in him/her or he sees in her/him.


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  it should be an abbreviation for Hygiene:):)===JACK:   So...?  I know...You were just making a funny somment.  Ha Ha.


FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Thanks!!! 2 new words!===JACK:  2 new words for me, too! 


FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  I am a sapophile.===JACK:  I had to look it up.  (A sapophile is someone who is attracted to intelligence or, intelligent people.)  I am attracted to people, particularly interesting people.  I don't know what you call that.


FROM JSMSA IN SJ:    “Any logic in history is made and unmade. by events and human will. “ by David W. Blight. (From Book( A Slave No More)) The quote we were talking about is the name of the book —-All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum. Jack—- my life was easy kindergarten children are happy. I woke up each morning knowing that so I was happy—it was as. simple as that.===JACK:  I remember being in Kindergarten..the room and the teacher.  I also remember seeing a colorful book about Indians.  Ij thosae days they weren't called, Native Americans.


FROM TL IN MI:  Thanks Jack for new expressions.  I love them.===JACK:  Try using them in conversation today and see what happens.  Ha Ha


FROM AC IN WB:  Hygge is Danish!  When I was in Denmark, everyone was all about hygge.  It’s like a vibe or feeling of warmth or coziness.===JACK:  Since you're a U of M gray you're a smart person.  You'd never pick up a cat by the tail, would you?


FROM WILLMAR REV:  ... working on experiencing a little more hygge into my life, beginning today ... 0;-)===JACK:  I looked up hygge once, but have already forgotten what it meant.  Back to Google!


FROM PM:  I’ve been checking out books from the library about hygge for the last year/year and a half. :) My house can be pretty chaotic with 3 passionate, rambunctious kids. My brain needs calm and cozy to adjust to the craziness. It has helped greatly through this pandemic, too! It’s fun to learn that’s a new word in the dictionary. I’ll have to share that with my family. Thanks for sharing!===JACK:  Sorry to late in getting back to you *2nd vaccination shot).  I, too, like new words, especially those that have a "fun" sound, like hygge.  I think that we all crave the hygge way of living.

 

No comments: