Thursday, April 30, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words 4/30/20
“We’re swimming in the same soup, you and me.  I am a carrot.  You are a pea.  Peppers, onions, celery, cabbage…we’re swimming in the same soup, and there’s room for all.”  (ESL class saying)  I love diversity!  I live in a community where over 60 languages are spoken in the homes of our high schoolers.  The president of our Clergy Group is a Muslim Imam.  The family living across the street is Russian.  I like vegetable soup.  Broth is kind of bland.  ;-)  Jack


FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  60 languages! call me not so bright, but i did not realize there were so many different languages in the world, much less in one school district!  i was glad for gisela to have a russian skating coach from age 5... gives a child an expanded view of the world.  so what do you think of justin amash’s running for libertarian party presidential candidate?===JACK:  Americans, generally, are a pretty insulated people.  I have envied my European friends who know several languages, while I only know one.  Re: Libertarians...I have known several as close friends.  They are passionate about their beliefs, but their numbers continue to be insignificant compared to the final tallies of the main parties.  Libertarians continue to make their statement with no real hope of winning, imo

FROM LBP:  I did like that (diversity) about the east side of the state. The other soup analogy I like is the stone soup. We can each share a little to make it tasty.===JACK:  Lots of blondes in Minnesota.  You'd fit right in.
FROM SF IN FL:  Me too!!! I love this metaphor! Gary was always so proud of the diversity of the high school. Unfortunately, that is the very reason why some of our own people criticized and even moved to a ‘better’ school district. We and also our kids have friends from all walks of life. Our lives are enriched by our circle of friends. They have truly become our family.===JACK:  Yes, opposition to diversity is a reason to change school districts...another "hidden" one is the perception that you can move to a higher economic bracket with the change.  Foolish, foolish parents!===S:  Yes. Parents are competitive and view a diverse school population as inferior. So unfortunate.

FROM HY YO SILVER:  Excellent.  Good timing, too. I made a Greek soup yesterday and tossed in some carrots at the end just because “there was room”!===JOHN:  What is the "Jewish-made" soup that is supposedly a cure for almost everything?===HYS:  Chicken soup and or matzah ball soup  ===JACK:  I hope that Esther has a recipe for both.
FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  That is the story of America these days!===JACK:  The "Make America Great Again" movement seems to want to lessen diversity.===SHIRL:   Not at all!
FROM EILEEN IN MI:  So true and well said-when our kids were in First Grade-they made stone soup-we each brought in an item for the soup and it was included in the Thanksgiving celebration.  You never know how it is going to taste, but it is different every time.  I put a little dill in my chicken soup, along with parsley..and use chicken stock when making Bear Creek Soup, along with the water...Diversity is good, and so are changing things up each time, groups will blend and change with grace.===JACK:  A little bit of soup at Thanksgivingtime seems like a good idea.  Tell me more about stone soup and Bear Creek Soup.===EILEEN:   Stone Soup came from Village Oaks Elementary-I belive they started with a base and we brought in the rest, whether it was beans, a veggie, a spice or rice...
Bear Creek Soups are salty but..You can buy in the soup Aisle and do your own thing-I got creative with them once I experimented and picked the ones I like...Mike and I don't always agree..but I buy what we agree on-In the soup Aisle-runs around $3 and try first then decide if you want to add-I highlly recommend broth and or stock along with water, about half/half ===JACK:  Mmmm

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Love vegetable soup!  My favorite.  I think of us all as more of a fruit basket:  sweet, sour, thick, thin, mixed up in a big bowl!!  All different but bringing our own special flavors.===JACK:  Forrest Gump quoted his Momma..."Life is like a box of chocolates."
FROM PASTY PAT:  Amen...Amen===JACK:  What is a tasty Finnish soup?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Whew! 60 languages? That is diverse! I remember the elementary story Stone Soup, that my kids read, and some classes had kids bring vegetables to put into a occasionally had a chili fest where everyone brought a can of chili to put in the kettle. It always turned out good!
Yes we ARE all swimming in the same soup; a fun and apt analogy! Hope we soon swim out of this Covid 19 soup!! NOT palatable!===JACK: I used to co-host a TV program for the school district called, "Meet Your Neighbor" during which my partner and I invited some of "the 60" to tell us something about their country and its customs. 

FROM M & L:  M wanted me to tell you that he loves vegetable soup!!  :)===JACK:  You can serve that anytime I'm around.  It's a favorite of mine, too.

FROM SUNSHINE:  We also value the diversity in our community here in Blacksburg, VA . . . a rarity in southwest VA.  However there seems to be no racial or cultural diversity in our ELCA congregation.  Our former pastor, when asked about this and when we suggested possible actions, indicated that blacks have a different way of worship.  Our current pastor indicated that "Of course we have diversity, there was an Asian at our last service."  So this begs the question - do you also have diversity among your congregation?  If so, how was this accomplished?  I should add that this is in spite of our being a "Reconciling in Christ" congregation. 
===JACK:  Oh my!  In my opinion, diversity starts with the feelings of the pastor and how he/she presents the message, "Which is the greatest of the Commandments?"  It's hard to argue with Jesus when he tells the story of the Good Samaritan.  As I began a new congregation, our first worship service was well attended; we even had a choir.  Later that afternoon I had a call from someone who had signed the "charter" as a new member.  "Pastor, what are you trying to do by bringing in a black person to sing in the choir?"  I didn't know what she was talking about, because there was no "black person" in the choir.  Then it dawned on me.   "Oh, you must mean Bonnie...She just got back from  Florida and has been out in the sun a lot.  "Click" went the phone.  She and her family removed their names from the charter and joined a less liberal Lutheran congregation. 

FROM PROUD MARY:  The only thing I would add is animal crackers!✌ ===JACK:  You must be vegetarian...a cracker cow instead of beef. ===PM:  That's who I am!

FROM SK IN SJ:  Hi Jack! I liked your scenario of us all being in the same soup. It’s true ! Everything that’s going on is happening to all of us , no matter what our circumstances are. I’ve been of course thinking a lot about my life and where is it going . What do I need to be doing. But most of all, I get up everyday and try to reach out to friends and family. And my sewing! That keeps me going. Thank you for your words of wisdom!😊===JACK:  "Sewing keeps me going!"  That's a good slogan for shelter in place days.  How many masks have you made?

No comments: