Friday, February 29, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 2/29/08
“It is intellectually easier to credit a divine intelligence than to submit dumbly to felicitous congeries about nature.”
(William Buckley) I didn’t always agree with Bill, but I did enjoy listening to him speak, using BIG words. I will miss him. Incidentally, I do agree with this quote, even though I had to look up a couple of words. ;-) Jack


FROM N.E. IN S.H.: Me too! Felicitous & Congeries!

FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: I'm off to my dictionary. Thank you for continued daily nudges to keep my brain functioning!

FROM DMF IN MINNESOTA: Nice touch to have Buckley today.

MORE FROM DMF: Maybe your new strategy is to have “Quotes from the Grave” by the recently deceased!

FROM M.S. IN MICHIGAN: This morning's Wall Street Journal ends a tribute to him with "Ave atque vale," which I had to look up to find "Hail and Farewell." It also has several quotes, including "I am lapidary but not eristic when I use big words," Column, 1986.

FROM THE JUDGE IN MICHIGAN: I would be most disappointed ana shocked if you didn't agree with this tought. How about this one? "Two rights that every man should have: The right to think what he wants and the right to say what he thinks." (Spinoza) Buckley always Came across AS TOO POMPOUS FOR ME. ALSO HE WAS A REPUBLICAN

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: Buckley certainly was the Opsimath’s friend. I predict sales of unabridged dictionaries will decline. FROM JACK: Did you know that there are opsimath clubs in America?

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: I will miss him too. I am also used to the big words, as Gary uses them all the time....I always say, "Tell me again using words I can understand." He just laughs and rephrases the statement.
FROM MOLINER, L.P.: "Felicitous" is such an arcane word that AOL's Spell Check didn't pick up on the fact that I'd spelled it incorrectly in my first email. I'm gonna miss Mr. Buckley!

MORE FROM L.P.: Ok, I looked these words up, too, and now I get it.
felicitious: well-chosen, apt, appropriate congeries: a collection of things heaped together, an aggregation
I interpret Mr. Buckley's statement to mean it's easier to believe in God than to believe that some Big Bang accidentally threw this all together. I've always believed God is a scientist of the highest order. Perhaps God created a big bang to get it all started.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: ......unfortunately Buckley was behind the curve scientifically. Current science believes that the "Big Bang" universe is but a blip in what's really out there. Think about this : Why would chaos be a result of a creative effort? It's a self-contradictory hypothesis. Did "God" say "oops"? Intelligent Design,which is where devout old school Catholic is , which is what Buckley was, is not , in the least, scientific.......but rather a "faith statement". The very basic premise of science is random selection evolution.

FROM MOLINER, T.L.: Certainly easier, but more honest ?

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: I'll never forget the time Bill was on Johmie Carson's show and said he didn't fly unless the plane had two right wings.

FROM B.G. IN MICHIGAN: I concur. William F. Buckley was that rare commentator, on either side of the aisle, who respected his adversaries and even invited them to engage him in meaningful debate. And, instead of shouting them down a la Rush Limbaugh and his cronies, he actually let them talk before offering his take on a particular subject. He was brilliant, if a bit conservative for my tastes.

FROM PR J.S. IN MICHIGAN: Eristic is a good word. It is typical of the dialectic practiced by Socrates. I don't pretend to be a Socrates but he is good company to keep. FROM JACK: It seems to fit you. Ha

FROM A.M. IN MICHIGAN: I will probably remember congeries since the Latin root is very similar to the Latin root for congregate. Did not recall this; had to look it up. Vocabulary wise, reading Buckley is like reading Joseph Conrad. Enjoy them, but need dictionary nearby.

FROM DAZ IN MICHIGAN: "Despair is a mortal sin" A good Optimist quote.

FROM CWL IN OHIO: I'm glad you don't understand all the words. I was worried there for a while!
I'll miss him too- though we can still check him out and stretch ourselves with his writings.

Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people.
William Butler Yeats

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: To illustrate one of my inadequacies, I thought he was a pompous intellectual showoff. After saying that, I listened to Bob Schaefferstate that Mr Buckley could have cut and diced him once but didn't, rather he extended a helping hand. So, at heart he was a Christian. I must give him credit.

MORE FROM B.S.: I really want to go up and visit with my MA & PA. There are many questions i really want to ask them, such as, why didn't you teach us Sweedish? German? And why didn't they go dancing, and take us with? Why didn't they buy up some of the lots down the street in 1945 when they were $50.00 each? You know why? we didn't have any money.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, clear back in the early 1970's, when I considered myself a Republican and used to read the National Review and so forth, I actually attended a lecture he gave at Stanford. By myself. He seemed so smart and to have answers and passion to solve problems we were facing. But I confess I would never have wanted to actually talk to a guy like that--much too intimidating!!!!!!!