Friday, February 15, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 2/15/08
“Don’t go through life; grow through life.”
(Sue Butterworth) At her funeral it was said of Sue, “She made people feel better about themselves.” She was passionate about selling books that helped people to grow through life. As you look back, have you read books such as that? What would you recommend? ;-) Jack


FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: LIVING, LOVING & LEARNING by Leo Buscaglia. It's old (1982) but I still go back into it from time to time to refresh my memory and consider it message again.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: First and foremost, I would say the Bible, but that's probably a given. I have read thousands of books, (it's our biggest entertainment expense) but each left me with something.

FROM PR J.S. IN MICHIGAN: How about the scriptures?

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: SUPERMAN! Did he ever not help those in need or harm's way?

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: This is a good one for me, the day after I came within three years of reaching my full social security retirement age. Thanks for sending! Don't look back, I may be gaining on you.

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: anything by maya angelou. particularly, "i know why the caged bird sings". it gave me back my courage and voice at a very difficult time in my life.

THE CAGED BIRD SINGS:
The title of the book comes from the poem "Sympathy" by Paul Laurence Dunbar:
"I know why the caged bird sings, ah me,
When his wing is bruised and his bosom sore,
When he beats his bars and would be free;
It is not a carol of joy or glee,
But a prayer that he sends from his heart's deep core,
But a plea, that upward to Heaven he flings -
I know why the caged bird sings. (Stanza 3)"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Bible first, reading the Bible in small intimate groups seems to always make me feel more hopeful about myself, but then also reading Luther's writings and also biographies about his life. Having come from a background where I was trying to reconcile the various people of my family and to go through a transforming experience in the process, I really needed a person like Luther and to be able to see his adversity and his transformation.
Peace of the Lord,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

I also like Henri J. M. Nouwen's book on "Intimacy: Pastoral Psychological Essays." It was written in 1969 and I just got it about 3 years ago from a person who was sorting out books and giving them away but there is a lot of substantial stuff in it. Some of the stuff on homosexuality might be offensive to some and not really correct but some of the stuff, for 1969, a lot of us would do well to pay more attention to even today in 2008. Some of the stuff on man/woman relations and also human/God relations in prayer is simply profound in my opinion.
Peace,
Sharon