Friday, February 08, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 2/8/08
“Anyone who has gumption knows what it is, and anyone who hasn’t can never know what it is. So, there is no need of defining it.”
(L. M. Montgomery) Of course you know what gumption is, don’t you? In your lifetime, who are the ones who have inspired you with their gumption? Don’t tell me that you want a definition! ;-) Jack

FROM CWR IN BALTIMORE: .....my father

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: Forrest Gump had it. Think about THAT coincidence.

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: Do you mean, GET THE LEAD OUT!!?

FROM N.K. IN THE U.P.: I believe that waas one of the first words I can remember my parents using.....in English to describe some one that was too lazy to get out of bed. They had NO GUMPTION !!

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Mt grandpa had gumption....he invented many items on cars for the Hudson Motor Cars, including the little side mirror on the side windows. Remember them? They opened and let to point air into the front seat. He also invented the piece of material (back when he invented it they used velvet) which took the dew off the side windows when you rolled them up and down. And many many other things on the car still in use today. But he didn't get money for them back in those days. He also invented a new math, which let us grandkids learn so much faster. Unfortunately, the teachers and school didn't let us use it. He had a lot of gumption! He smoked cigars for 35 years. One day the doctors told him to stop and he never touched one again. I could write a book about my wonderful, God loving grandparents!

FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: I think this is another one of those 'age' things --- anyone of a certain age knows what gumption is. In my case, it was definitely my Mom and her Mom!

FROM D.S. IN MICHIGAN: I have gumption. ;o)

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: I was afraid if I didn’t check in you would think I have no gumption.

FROM D.S. IN SAN DIEGO: YOU have a lot of gumption telling me you won't define it!

FROM MOLINER, J.T.: My Dad had Gumption (no matter what the meaning is). No definition is necessary--he had it !!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend, Alice, who has been on a feeding tube and a ventilator for neigh onto maybe 5 years now. She probably didn't make the choice herself to do that, I think the hospital and her lawyer guardian did that. She hasn't even talked about the adversity of it all because she doesn't talk. But her eyes express her gumption. To me they don't seem to be talking about the adversity but her patience and gentleness and trust in the face of it all. I love the expression in her eyes and I think I see gumption written all over them.
Peace of the Lord,
Sharon