Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 2/26/08
“Thy fate is the common fate of all. Into each life some rain must fall.”
(Henry Wadsworth Longfellow) I should quote the lines that precede this: Be still sad heart and cease repining. Behind the clouds is the sun still shining. So, as the song suggests, Look for the silver lining! Longfellow’s words are from the poem, The Rainy Day. You may have memorized it in grade school days. ;-) Jack

FROM S.G. IN K.H.: I DID memorize this in grade school.....

FROM G.G. IN INDY: Memorizing poems may be a lost art in schools. Too bad. I remember when you had us memorize most of Luthers' Small Cathechism!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: “Most people would succeed at small things if they were not troubled with great ambitions.” That’s my favorite Longfellow line. It may be from an introduction to a book he wrote, I am not sure it is part of a poem.

FROM J.F. IN NOVA SCOTIA: The rain falleth on the just and the unjust. Or, in a more cynical view--I think from Ogden Nash-- The rain falleth on the just and on the unjust fella But mostly the just Because the unjust steals the just's umbrella

No comments: