Monday, May 09, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 5/9/16
“The best prayers I know are ‘Help me, Help me, Help me’ and ‘Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.’”  (Anne Lamott)  Can you remember the last time you prayed…and why it was?  Even people who never pray, can come to a point where they can’t handle “it” by themselves.  Prayer is most often thought of as a religious exercise, but even before there were churches, God said, “Call upon me in the day of trouble, and I will answer you.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  i have always liked the phrase:  Man's extremity is God's opportunity.  translation:  when we come to the end of our rope,  God is there to meet us.====JACK:  Your response made me curious about the phrase, "When you come to the end of your rope."  Google to the rescue.    "A 'rope' is thrown to someone who is in a difficult place, such as deep water or the edge of a cliff. If there is not enough rope, the person might be in trouble. So to be 'at the end of your rope' means that there is no more help available, and the situation is not good."====SP:  i also wondered if it had anything to do with a hanging.  that really IS the end of your rope!!====JACK:  Sometimes Google says, "origin unclear."  I like my origin better than yours; a third one may be clearer.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  My now deceased best friend, Deere executive and CPA Don Martin, told me the reason my company survived was because I spent the first hour of my day in prayer and Bible reading.  For this past Easter I wrote a poem for my family entitled EVERY DAY. It's about how I think of each of them every day.====JACK:  I remember the story of a successful businessman who had the letters D.F.T.P. carved on edge of his desk facing him.  When asked what it meant, he replied, "When I come up against hard decisions, it's a reminder to me...Don't Forget To Pray....I remember reading your Easter poem about your family--very touching.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Prayer is an ongoing conversation I have all day.  My last prayer was a few moments ago.====JACK:  That's pretty close to "pray without ceasing."  Of course, prayer is not only words, but it can be a life lived close to the Lord.====JUDY:  I think the prayer I say the most is help us walk in your path besides the thanks and please.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Yes, ever since I read her book with  that quote in it, I have utilized the Help Me, Help Me, Help Me, and Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!, More Help! than Thanks! maybe in our present situation, but she is always a good read!!  And there are ALWAYS some things to be thankful for, no matter what!====JACK:  I'm in the process of reading a book about hymn origins.  It's interesting  to note how many of our hymns with "thanks" as a theme have come out of "help" situations.  "Now, Thank We All Our God," for example.====OAKS:  I have several books of hymn stories, too, and many, many of our treasured hymns were the result of suffering and loss, like It Is Well With My Soul, What a Friend We Have in Jesus, Safe In The Arms of Jesus, etc. Music is such a big part of our lives, isn't it?!

FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  every day; also thank yous : )====JACK:  I just noticed...The Lord's Prayer doesn't have a "thank you" in it.

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  When do I pray? At the slightest provocation! Like now. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer. So often I need help! And I have SO much for which to be thankful. I love the nearness of God, and the availability of His counsel and help. What a Friend!!!!====JACK:  "Thou wilt find a solace there."  Solace is an interesting word.  Syn: comfort, consolation.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  God is not a genie who grants wishes.  He does answer prayers we all know that, but he also gives us two hands and two feet to do his work.  Just like the little child's song..."Two little eyes to look his way....two little feet to walk in his ways"...etc====JACK:  We'd all like "yes" answers to our prayers, but sometimes we have to be satisfied that a "no" answer is a good one, too.

1 comment:

SBP said...

When do I pray? At the slightest provocation! Like now. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer. So often I need help! And I have SO much for which to be thankful. I love the nearness of God, and the availability of His counsel and help. What a Friend!!!!