Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 5/18/16
“Home is the place, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.”  (Robert Frost)  Did you know that today is Visit Your Relatives Day?  Sometimes we get so caught up in things that we lose track of relatives.  Maybe now’s the time for a letter, phone call, e-mail, Skype or an actual face-to-face.  We celebrated last weekend as 3 of my wife’s sisters showed up for a visit.   Lots of talk and laughter and lots of coffee.  What family stories come to your mind?    ;-)  Jack

FROM LBP IN PLYMOUTH:  I suppose we are celebrating this weekend. I'm sure there will be many stories come Monday!====JACK:  Your kids and M's will be making deposits in their own family memory bank, as you did when you were their age.

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  When my sister got married almost 6years ago our cousin Jenny flew in from South Africa, where she lives, as a surprise and came straight  to the church after the service had begun.  She snuck into the pew with me so when Jo turned around as Mrs Threagold her face was a picture!====JACK:  Real surprises, especially the pleasant ones, are the best kind....like when Sarah was told that she was going to have a baby, when she was in her 90s.====BS:  I hope that I  will not experience that particular surprise!====JACK: You never know, considering the medical miracles that seem to be happening every day.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Frost's thoughts about getting back to one's home is a bit outdated now.  Sadly, there are many homes where misguided children have destroyed their relationship with parents and are not welcomed back home.  Some "talk and laughter" could go a long way to bring such families back together.  I wish the story of The Prodigal Son was more common today, that parents and children who are estranged would have a change of heart, and get back to caring for each other.====JACK:  Everything is dated...even the present time.  That's why we have to look at things in the context.  The Bible is no exception.  Who are we?  Are we not different people at different times in our lives?  History books allow us to study what was, but even those books are colored by the author's view.====RI:  I'm always pleased to read the WW quotes you choose.  Moreover, to read your responses to the replies you receive.  Your manner is to look deeper into the issues, and you show understanding of humans, that we make mistakes.====JACK:  A good conversation never seems to come to an end...in person or by way of the internet.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Thanksgivings!  Up to 45 family members and sometimes friends come over to celebrate!  Oh what fun we have and what blessings and thanksgivings!  It has been the tradition for over 50 years in our family.====JACK:  I've read that Thanksgiving Day is the most family-oriented of all the holidays.  "Over the river and through the woods..."====JUDY:  You brought up a happy song we sang often on the way to Grayling....my grandmother and Dad and Mom lived on the Aug able River.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Hope it was a great visit with all the girls there, Jack.  I'm sure Mary enjoyed seeing them.  Hope y'all are doing great.  We are looking forward to Gloria's retirement on July 1 so maybe WE will have more time to travel and visit family.====JACK:  There was a lot of "remember when?" sharing.

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  First family story that came to mind is when a church pastor called me at the office one day and asked if I thought it might be time to join the church with the other members of my family. When I inquired what the test would be he responded that HE was the test master and I had to pass his examination. Boy was HE a tough task master, but the good news was I gained a friend for life and made my family happy.====JACK:  We had some good days together when you and your family were part of the congregation.  If I were to retire to Naples we'd have lots of stories to exchange like the one about lunch at the Crash Landing.====RJP:  O my goodness won't you ever let me off the hook for than one transgression?????????  Chris is laughing .====JACK:  ...and she wasn't even there.

FROM JK IN CALIFORNIA:  I hope you had so much fun!!! Faye was so excited to visit Mary!! I hope she was so happy to see them all and that she has many memorable smiles that last a long time from the visit!!!====JACK:  It was sort of a mini-reunion.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  For most of us, "home" conjures up pleasant memories; Our big, inclusive family gathering is at Thanksgiving, always a great reunion time, but my own family still gathers for almost all the holidays, and often birthdays, with love, laughter and good food to enjoy.  As loved ones leave us, these also have a tinge of bittersweet nostalgia! Life goes on, but is never quite the same again. We've all experienced that; It probably makes our gatherings more precious, thankful for what we still have!!====JACK:  Family get-togethers (over time) have empty seats, but life has a way of filling them with new faces.  They go, and they come.

FROM SA IN WB:    I think the best thing is the stories during the holiday's and the way we celebrated these holidays.====JACK:  Since we live in such a diverse community we learn that there are other holidays than the ones we're used to... and that is good!

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  I admire & respect who you are & am grateful that you don't seem to mind that I share what's on my mind when I read your "winning words"'  Keep up the good work.. ====JACK:  I suppose that through your radio program you have "on air" relatives, too.

No comments: