Friday, July 09, 2010

Winning Words 7/9/10
“To remain young while growing old is the highest blessing.” (German Proverb) My astute readers have probably figured out by now the theme of this week’s WWs. For the others, the proverbs quoted are from the four countries playing “football” in the World Cup games, being held in South Africa. For the really astute, Who will win on Sunday? The half of me that’s not Swedish thought it would be Germany. Wrong! ;-) Jack

FROM DRJH IN OHIO: you are very good at this! I think it's all the tricks you pull on your friends ;-) FROM JACK: Thanks, but have you figured out the theme of this week's WWs? I'm waiting to hear.

FROM LIZ IN ILLINOIS: I'm going with Paul, the octopus-- Spain. FROM JACK: You're really astute! And, you're probably right about Spain. The only octopus we know about in Detroit is the one thrown on the ice when the Red Wings play hockey. MORE FROM LIZ: 'Psychic' parakeet picks Netherlands as World Cup winners

FROM EA IN MICHIGAN: I think that is what I am trying to do. FROM JACK: The proverb puts forth a good goal. BTW, "GOAL" is a hint toward arriving at answering the question: "What is the theme of this week's WWs?"

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: I like this one, Jack! My bday was yesterday--turned 52 years young! I definitely remain young--some might even call it immature! Ha! Thanks for all you do to keep me young and vibrant with your daily quotes! I love them! FROM JACK: As I understand it, part of the secret for staying young is to work on puzzles? Since you are "young" you may have solved the puzzle in today's WWs.

FROM LIZ IN ILLINOIS: 'Psychic' parakeet picks Netherlands as World Cup winners FROM JACK: Is the bird's name, Psycho? MORE FROM LIZ: No, but the owner's name is.

FROM PRAW IN ILLINOIS: Also very difficult....I keep talking but my body just doesn't get it! FROM JACK: Do you ever watch those TV exercise shows and wonder if you ever could do that?

FROM DRJH IN OHIO: World Cup proverbs! Nice! By the way, I have a friend who grew up in Spain... he is a sports nut like the Freed Clan. You can only imagine his excitement for tomorrow's finale! Go SPAIN (I support my friend)! FROM JACK: Paul, the octopus, says that you will be happy. Ask your friend if he's ever run with the bulls.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I was not so astute as to figure out you were sending quotes from the soccer teams in the World Cup. I like it! I had picked the Netherlands to take the Cup. My brother scoffed, and was in favor of Germany, also. We will see if my choice comes through. One of the few times I am a soccer game watcher! (Except when my granddaughter played in H.S....) Can't be any more discouraging than being a CUB fan this
year! :-( FROM JACK: Somebody wins, and somebody loses, but why do the Cubs always seem to fall short? But their fans are the true optimists. "What til next year," is their cry.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: not to mention a lot more fun than the alternative! FROM JACK: Proverbs usually have truth in them, like this one from the Germans.

No comments: