Friday, July 23, 2010

Winning Words 7/23/10
“Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn’t have in your home.” (David Frost) I remember being asked about who I would like to have a dinner conversation with. I didn’t pick a movie star or sports celebrity. …maybe Lincoln, a former teacher, Mark Twain, or a deceased relative. If you had the chance, who would you pick? ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Frost really got to the point in that quote, and I think he was right. It's easier to come up with a list of people I wouldn't like to have a dinner conversation with, than to select an outstanding individual that I would choose to be with. Ironically, so many of those who disinterest me are venerated in the news and TV
programming we see every day. FROM JACK: You are welcome at our table anytime.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: My Grandpa FROM JACK: Both of my grandpas died before I was born. One survived the Chicago Fire; the other worked for the CB&Q. What did your grandpa do? MORE FROM GS: He was an inventor and developer of the traffic light on both coasts and the midwest. Co-founder and CEO of Harrington Seaberg, forerunner of Eagle Signal. Retired at age 46. Most importantly, he was a gentle man. Immigrated to the US in 1896 at age 16, worked in Galesburg carrying water on the railroad for 16cents/day + laidoff in the winter w/o $ and couldn't speak English. Knew what it was like to starve.

FROM JO IN MICHIGAN: I'd settle for some guy named Jack Freed...that would work for me! FROM JACK: We've been there and done that, and it was enjoyable.

FROM BP IN FLORIDA: George Washington, Socrates and Jack Freed. Two would ask interesting questions and Jack could answer!!!!! Hope you are well. Passed your home yesterday as we visited WB. FROM JACK: ...except that I would be the one asking the questions. One of the most interesting experiences I can remember was sitting down with you for a meal.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Rabbi Wein, people from the Henri Nouwen Society, maybe you could come one day, all people who send me, and I receive joyfully, e-mails from. All people of faith, all interesting and authentic, all inspirational and helps me to keep going forward each day. Thank you. FROM JACK: You are an interesting person and certainly would "spark" the conversation.

FROM MS IN MICHIGAN: I would pick my Mother. FROM JACK: Most people won't go wrong is choosing their mom. I'd be interested in hearing something about your's.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: St. Peter, Helen Keller, Ponce de Leon and of course, Jesus. FROM JACK: Are you looking for Ponce to given you directions to the Fountain of Youth?

FROM PRJM IN MICHIGAN: Jesus -- I'd like to know what he thinks about the mess we've made of the Church; All of us, in All the church bodies! FROM JACK: Do you think that Jesus would understand what you were talking about when you mentioned the word, church? MORE FROM JM: LOL! I think we'd be on two different planes, that's for sure!

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: I think I would select St. Paul as my dinner guest FROM JACK: You might ask him if he's changed his ideas about women in the Church....and other related issues. His comments on his "faith journey" might be more interesting.

FROM JT IN ILLINOIS: One more time with my parents would be perfect. I have so much to tell them.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: I would like to sit down with Winston Churchill. FROM JACK: And smoke a cigar with him? . . . _

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: JESUS, Peter, Paul, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Abraham and Mary Lincoln, and a myriad other historical leaders! Although I think our lives have spanned a terrifically interesting time in history, and life is certainly easier in the U.S. in this era of every conceivable convenience!! I am thankful! FROM JACK: You're going to have to have a pretty big table. Who will say, "Grace?" You'll have to invite Martha, so she can do the cooking.

FROM LIZ IN ILLINOIS: Charles Krauthammer. FROM JACK: You forced me to look him up. At first I thought that he was a German carpenter.

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO: Jesus FROM JACK: How about a Civil War person, too? It could be one with a religious bent. MORE FROM DAZ: Lincoln for sure and Grant second.

FROM MOLINER CF: And don't think Lincoln and Twain would have been on TV in their day. I might pick Winston Churchill. FROM JACK: Twain would probably have a TV talk show and Lincoln might be required to have press conferences.

FROM NK IN WISCONSIN: None other than Vince Lombardi-surprised? FROM JACK: Lombardi could sit next to you and Favre next to your husband.

FROM PRFM IN WISCONSIN: An old co-worker who died too young, The Rev. Ron Peterson. Maybe by chance you knew him from Augustana. FROM JACK: There were two R Ps, but you are probably referring to the one called, Ronnie, who served in Wisconsin. He also served in Michigan, and I did know him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rabbi Wein, people from the Henri Nouwen Society, maybe you could come one day, all people who send me, and I receive joyfully, e-mails from. All people of faith, all interesting and authentic, all inspirational and helps me to keep going forward each day. Thank you.
S.H. in MI