Friday, July 30, 2010

Winning Words 7/30/10
“Different people have different opinions. Some prefer apples, some onions.” (Indonesian saying) This quote seems to be about fruit and vegetables, but you can see that there’s more to it than that. “Taste” is a word that can mean “choice.” We live in a world of many different tastes. Personally, I’m reluctant to try something new, but maybe there is a better ice cream flavor than butter pecan. ;-) Jack

FROM PO IN MICHIGAN: I doubt it. FROM JACK: BP stands for something other than British Petroleum.

FROM DC IN MICHIGAN: When you go to Baskin Robbins, you should try Baseball Nut. It is truly wonderful. FROM JACK: "I'm reluctant to try something new...," but I may be persuaded.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: A favorite cookbook of our family is "Wings of Life" by Julie Jordan. An old vegetarian cookbook. Onions are in most of the recipes--sauteed, baked, etc., etc., etc. but apples are in only a couple of recipes. Many people may not prefer onions but they complement a lot more other foods than apples do. Probably because fundamentally, they are the most harmonious. FROM JACK: When I was in grade school, I used to take my luch. My favorite sandwich was liver sausage and onions. I still like it.

FROM PRJD IN MINNESOTA: BUTTER PECAN IS THE BEST. FROM JACK: My mouth is watering, even at 8:15 am.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: Butter pecan….my dad's favorite too and one of mine. Some things can be improved upon but others are sweet just as you find them. FROM JACK: I'll have to Google Butter Pecan and see what I come up with.

FROM CWR VISITING MICHIGAN: Rum Raisin FROM JACK: Naturally.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: Butter pecan is great but not quite as good as Chocolate Malt Fudge. I remember when the Old Mill was across the street from my Dad's Feed Store and my older sister and I would be given a dime to get two two dip cones. They were incredible. We would walk up 18th Street hill from there and to our home. Inevitably one of us would lose a dip or two in an accident and I remember that the one with the cone left always shared with the other. It was an early lesson in how the world works better through altruism than through greed. FROM JACK: You are more altruistic than I am (and was).

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I am the original foot dragger, but I am not sure that there is anything better than butter pecan. However, pralines and cream is a close second. FROM JACK: It would be difficult to choose if the ice cream place was out of B P. But I would not choose NOTHING.

FROM MOLINER CF: Ever heard of anyone's breath smelling of apples? FROM JACK: Ever heard of Adam's Onion?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Love onions!!! Love Granny Smith Apples!! Love Ice cream (most kinds but prefer chocolate chip mint) This is one of my bad habits we talked about the other day. I'm afraid I will never break it either. Nor do I want to. FROM JACK: "An apple a day (and an onion, too) keeps the doctor away,"
but not those regular ice cream cones.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: Sgt. Camo! FROM JACK: I need to let the blog readers know that Camo is a "new" flavor from Whitey's Ice Cream Shop in Moline, Illinois. If I ever get back to Moline I may give it a taste test and top it off with a Whitey's chocolate shake, which you have to eat with a spoon.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I personally doubt that there is a better flavor than butter pecan, but I'm willing to try ANY flavor of ice cream...one of my favorite "foods". :-) Petersburg has a Dairy Queen, more's the pity. ( Lead me not into temptation!!) I guess it is a good thing for our diversity, that each has a different taste. I'm sure we have more choices than anywhere in the world! And we can still get along, in spite of our preferences!
FROM JACK: I'm thinking....Is there only one choice: "Yes or No?"

FROM DRUGGIST BOB NEAR ORLANDO: Jack, it's called vanilla. But get a mango where ever you can andI hope you get one as good as the two we had today. It is truely an experience. FROM JACK: I can't say that I've ever tasted mango in ice cream or otherwise. Am I missing something?

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia is mighty good. Haagen Daz coffee is a tasty lunch at the mall. FROM JACK: I see that you buy at the high end of the scale.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Try Handels' Black Cherry FROM JACK: I thought Handel was only famous for the "Messiah."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A favorite cookbook of our family is "Wings of Life" by Julie Jordan. An old vegetarian cookbook. Onions are in most of the recipes--sauteed, baked, etc., etc., etc. but apples are in only a couple of recipes. Many people may not prefer onions but they complement a lot more other foods than apples do. Probably because fundamentally, they are the most harmonious.
S.H. in MI