Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Winning Words 7/7/10
“That which isn’t in books, life will teach you.” (Spanish Proverb) I’ve heard some people say that they went to “the school of hard knocks,” meaning that they may not have a college degree, but the world has taught them other things. I’ve met up with quite a few people, smarter than I am, who went to “that school.” I’ve never been to Spain, but I do like to eat Spanish peanuts. ;-) Jack

FROM J&H IN CANADA: There is a lot to this, provided one lives through life’s “learning experiences” like failing to stop, look and listen.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: Again "both/and" trumps "either/or"....Why not learn in school and in the world both? FROM JACK: Ideally speaking, that's true, but not everybody lives in an ideal world. Some of the "hard knocks" grads that I know, did not have the formal education opportunities that are available today. I admire those who make the best of life's situations. I appreciate your idealistic (optimistic) view.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Let me suggest you try a plate of paella. FROM JACK: Valencian paella consists of white rice, green vegetables, meat (rabbit, chicken, duck), land snails, beans and seasoning. Seafood paella replaces meat and snails with seafood and omits beans and green vegetables. Mixed paella is a free-style combination of meat, seafood, vegetables and sometimes beans. No thanks, for me. I'll stick with a brat, a bun and sauerkraut.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Actually, there are a heck of a lot of people now writing their memoires, autobiographies and so forth telling us what life has taught them which wasn't in a previously published book. Some of them are probably Spaniards. Just having fun here, and no, I don't ever intend to write a book. FROM JACK: Politicians and other celebrities seem to be at the head of the line when it comes to writing about themselves. I don't think that they can top Abe Lincoln and the log cabin story.

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: I like them too, but in my old age they give me gas... too much info? FROM JACK: With the increasing quest for alternative energy, you may have hit on something...Spanish peanuts.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: Life will certainly teach us. In this technological world there is much to learn besides human nature. I am very patient with people, but anything that has moving parts presents a problem. Dealing with the call center people is especially challenging, don't you think? FROM JACK: My children have helped me to be "nice" phone solicitors. "Dad, remember that they are somebody's just trying to make a living." To personify the caller is a real help.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: And I know that you like Harbenaro chips! FROM JACK: Hot stuff! I remember.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Ha! The School of Hard Knocks is a pretty stern teacher! I have only been in the capital of Spain...it was lovely. I had a Spanish pen pal for awhile. Interesting! I think most would agree that Book Learnin' is only the beginning of the learning process! FROM JACK: That's good advice, coming from a teacher. BTW, I remember in Moline that female teachers had to resign if they got married...but not the men. I told my grandchildren about that, and couldn't believe it.

FROM PRAW IN ILLINOIS: this one hit me in solar plexis....when I was in high school I got into an arguement with a Sr. citizen because I said " you can learn how to do anything through books." Life has taught me different. Even the computer does not know-all. Wish I could apologize to that man. FROM JACK: How did we ever make it through those years when we knew all of the answers?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, there are a heck of a lot of people now writing their memoires, autobiographies and so forth telling us what life has taught them which wasn't in a previously published book. Some of them are probably Spaniards. Just having fun here, Pastor Freed, and no, I don't ever intend to write a book.
S.H. in MI