Thursday, July 01, 2010

Winning Words 7/1/10
“I guess that’s how death works. It doesn’t matter if we’re ready or not. It just happens.” (Randy Miholland) Besides being a web cartoonist, RH is the creator of interesting aphorisms which speak to what’s going on in the lives of many people. The biblical writers of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes were good at that. Yogi Berra was good at misquoting aphorisms and turning them into humor. It’s hard to do that with today’s quote
about how death works. ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Death is a dead end! (Signs may warn about a Dead End but without heeding we drive on and get stopped. Our appointment with death is much the same.) FROM JACK: Some friends of mine have lost two children by separate sudden accidental death. Ready or not!

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Before I die, I sort of hope I get the opportunity to say "Heavenly Father, into Your Hands I commit my spirit." I've already learned how to pray that in a million different ways in a million different situations and I hope facing death will finally be one of them. But guess if death just happens to me, hopefully then God doesn't need me to tell Him anything. FROM JACK: Here's a good question to raise with your Bible study group..."Does God need anything?"

FROM HAWKEYE GS: If you are spiritually ready, it doesn't matter. FROM JACK: I know what you're saying, but what does "spiritually ready" mean? That might be an interesting question to consider at the "gym" discussion session. Are you spiritually ready all of the time?

FROM RI IN BOSTON: your WW yesterday included a Longfellow poem about being too late, and it reminded me of something I read some years ago, which I found again, and want to send you. Perhaps you've already seen it but it's worth reading again (it also applies somewhat to today's WW).

Things You Didn't Do (Author unknown)
Remember the day I borrowed your new car, and I dented it?
I thought you'd kill me, but you didn't.
And remember the time I dragged you to the beach, and you said it would rain, and it did?
I thought you'd say "I told you so," but you didn't.
Do you remember the time I flirted with all the guys to make you jealous, and you were?
I thought you'd leave me, but you didn't.
Do you remember the time I spilled strawberry pie all over your car rug?
I thought you'd hit me, but you didn't.
And remember the time I forgot to tell you the dance was formal and you showed up in jeans?
I thought you'd drop me, but you didn't.
Yes, there were lots of things you didn't do.
But you put up with me, and you loved me, and you protected me.
There were lots of things I wanted to make up to you when you returned from Viet Nam.
But you didn't.

FROM PO IN MICHIGAN: Whimsical, quirky --- and oh so true. FROM JACK: I like that word, quirky.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Yes, for sure, and when you get to be EIGHTY, you know any day can bring the unexpected. I'm sure we all cherish every day! As the old saying goes, "Live each day as though it were your last: One day you will be right!" I imagine we will be somewhat surprised, when the time for our own demise arrives...always somewhat unexpected! Cheers to all, and smiles! FROM JACK: How about 81, 82, 83?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Before I die, I sort of hope I get the opportunity to say "Heavenly Father, into Your Hands I commit my spirit." I've already learned how to pray that in a million different ways in a million different situations and I hope facing death will finally be one of them. But guess if death just happens to me, hopefully then God doesn't need me to tell Him anything.
S.H. in MI