Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Winning Words 7/13/10
“Don’t be afraid to give up the good for the great.” (J.D.Rockefeller) Something similar was in Larry Bielat’s book of inspirational sports quotes: “Good, Better, Best: Never let it rest, till your Good is Better, and your Better is Best.” I remember how the old Sears catalog would list the quality of items as Good, Better and Best. The Good ones were cheaper, but the Best items were the ones I wanted. ;-) Jack

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: Last night I had dinner with a friend who was discussing Ishmael versus Issac. I have
noticed in my life recently that I can get tired of waiting for the Best choice and settle for a decision today just to relieve the tension; Only to regret it later. Bless You for reminding me to stay vigilant and not have a 'false finish'. FROM JACK: Through the years I've learned that I can't always have the "best" of things. What I try to do is make the best choice among the options that are before me. Choosing well is what is important.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: I've seen a lot of people pay for "best" and get "good" FROM JACK: That's a good observation. "Caveat emptor!"

FROM DC IN MICHIGAN: I lived in Braddock, PA, from 3rd grade through 6th grade (1944-1948). I think when I was in 4th grade my history teacher wrote that quote in my autograph book. So that must be an old book those sports quotes! FROM JACK: Do people use autograph books anymore? Your teacher seems to have been one of the BEST. You must have learned your skills from her.

FROM SB IN MICHIGAN: That quote is a favorite of our family. I remember Mom drumming it into me as a child. It's been good advice. FROM JACK: "Drumming" is an interesting word. I suppose it ,eams a repeated pounding, as with the pounding of a drum...rat-a-tat-tat.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: Love this one and will pass on to the children next week. Afraid we haven't communicated this ethic well over the years. Sometimes I think in the church we have the message that God loves everyone "where they are" which of course is truthful but we allow folks to feel okay about being mediocre or not trying to excell lest they make someone else feel small by comparison With theteens I think they find it so important to blend in with the friendship/social group that usually doesn't encourage academic excellence and that bothers me. Have we struck a chord here? :) FROM JACK: I read a study recently which said that home-schooled children are most comfortable with others who are home-schooled and that they have trouble blending in with those different from themselves. I think that it's "both-and." In society we blend in with all kinds, but try to maintain our own value system. Now it's a challenge for a parent to teach a couple of teen-agers how to do it.

FROM BJ IN ILLINOIS: I came across this quote today. “Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.” – Groucho Marx FROM JACK: Groucho was one of my favorites. There's a lot of philosophy in humor. Here's another Groucho-ism that I like. "
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the
other room and read a book."

FROM MOLINER CF: Yes, and in the long run, the "best" most often turned out to be the cheapest. Ya get what ya pay for. FROM JACK: I was just talking with someone about that very point.

FROM ED IN ARIZONA: Over the past few months, I have been writing a proposal to the National Science Foundation for funding to go back to Ethiopia to finish my PhD research. I probably have about 40 drafts of the proposal. I could easily assign a label to them of "Good, Better, and Best". Now let's just hope that the "Best" version I send to them (today actually), is one of the "Best" proposals they receive, as funding is hard to get
these days (only ~10% success rate!). FROM JACK: A long-ago sportswriter said: "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game. I pray today that the grant might be yours, but I always end with these words, "not my will, but thine be done." My experience had been that things work out for the best. Whether or not the grant is received, you did your best, and you are the best!

FROM SG IN TAMPA: Always do your best. God will do the rest. FROM JACK: I've heard that before, but now I have to think....What is "the rest?"

No comments: