Thursday, February 28, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 2/28/08
“The most profound statements are often said in silence.”
(Lynn Johnston) I like Lynn’s “For Better or Worse” that appears each day in the comics section. She has a knack for reality. Her words today are a perfect example. There are times when it’s better to hold your tongue and not make things worse by shooting from the lip. ;-) Jack

FROM B.D. IN MICHIGAN: Jack this is really a good one I use this all the time. When I get mad at an employee often I'll give them the look of discuss and walk away without saying nothing. It drives them crazy. Later in the day I'll talk to them, they are on pins and needles the balance of the day till we have that talk. I think the reason it works so well for me is it give them a chance to think about what they have done and how they will correct the problem. Most of the time all I have to say is I'm glad your telling me their will not be a next time and that you have learned from your mistake. Your winning words today remind me that I should use the above more often, it's a better way to manage people.

FROM B.G. IN MICHIGAN: Amen! ‘nough said

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: Mmmh...

MORE FROM JON: I was holding my tongue. Something I don't often do.

FROM MOLINER, L.P: Who was it who said (and I paraphrase), "It is better not to say anything and appear stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."? FROM JACK: Mark Twain

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: Reminds me of Abe Lincoln's, " It is better to remain silent, etc."

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: i'm listening.

FROM N.K. IN MICHIGAN: .For Better or Worse is very special to our family

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: It's a game, just like holding off eating that cookie,( or fudge ) keep one's mouth shut as long as one can while some little chickie is listing all your faults one at a time, at the top of her voice. I think I am getting an ulcer. Hey that's a part of life.

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Living in a milieau of people who treasure stoicism and bearing things in silence and the strength of not letting others see feelings and opinions, etc. that might cause conflict or devisiveness, I think an interesting part of your Winning Words today is the connection between "holding your tongue" and "shooting from the lip". Even in the face of silence, people often have an uncanny way of knowing "the shooting feelings" that the silence is attempting to hide. If a person is silent and prays that might be the better part.
Sharon