Monday, February 11, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 2/11/08
“Can one who is warm understand one who is freezing?”
(Alexander Solzhenitsyn) It is cold, really cold here in Michigan. As long as the furnace works, we’re OK. A.S. felt the Siberian cold, and that probably caused him to have empathy with those who were disadvantaged. There are different kinds of “freezing” in this world today. What can we do to make it a more comfortable (bearable) place? ;-) Jack

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: I believe nearly everyone on earth has experienced cold. I remember in the 70's the dire predictions of a ice age coming, when even the deepest jungles and rain forests were threatened by cold. Remember? But this mind numbing cold...well, unless you actually experience it, it's very hard to describe. It's my kind of cold...when you step outside and you breathe in and your nose hairs freeze! Is there anything better? :-) That's Michigan!

FROM D.R. IN CALIFORNIA (TRANSPLANTED MOLINER): 77 here in Palm Desert yesterday!!!

FROM S.G. IN FLORIDA: It is much easier living in Florida than in Michigan, especially when the children are small and into the snowsuits,boots, mittens, etc. I always told our children that it builds character to live up north, but.in truth, character depends on many other things.

FROM B.B. IN ILLINOIS: My friend…. I so enjoyed that book. It was last year's One Book One Chicago where the city is encouraged to read a tome together and it's offered in many languages. We read it along with men from our homeless shelter and watched the film (which was good but not as compelling as the book) and had great discussion. You're right on point, as ever.

FROM SDG IN TAMPA: My reply is "To each is own."

FROM G.G. IN INDY: "Bearable" ?.... You are a funny man. I think one of the reasons I love the cold and snow is because I like to hibernate in my cozy home.

FROM A.M. IN NEW YORK: Probably though not exactly as one who experiences both.

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: maintain the audacity of hope and vote for a change!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe Jesus was able to enter into each person's pain whom He encountered and it was that breaking down of isolation that led to healing and new wholeness. Further I believe a person who believed in Jesus at a certain time in my life was able to enter into my own pain that was isolating me from others. Healing and new wholeness came to me. Now my purpose, wherever I go and whomever I'm with is to keep that process going. Sometimes the other helps me, sometimes I help the other. Maybe it's the process of sanctification.
Sharon